AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the reading I am getting on the dish500(119)

I get a much stronger signal on the dish300(61.5).

I am mainly interested in the hd hbo and showtime channels. Can I go ahead with this setup? Will I get my hd channels? Or are they dependent on the other satellites?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Although you can lock a signal in at 60% strength, you will experience rain/storm fade. I had a professional install my DISH - his first attempt produced a signal strength of 70%, he decided to tweak & now I have signal strength of 110+ for all 3 feeds. Here in DC, we've had a succession of Nor'Easters with dense clouds, hard rain and 40 mph winds. I have not experience any dropouts during these storms.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
117 Posts
The channels on 61.5 don't depend in any way on the other satellites. In heavy cloud cover, I've had the strength get too low on the other two and was still able to watch channels off of 61.5. I was actually watching the standard definition HBO when the strength got too low, and just switched over to the HD one. I'm further told that some people have a set-up with just a single satellite dish pointing to 61.5, so I'm sure that you'll have no problem with HBOHD and ShowtimeHD.

Keith

·
Registered
681 Posts
You should be able to get at least 95+ signal strength on 119. So unless you have an obstruction, you should be able to get much higher than 60.

Even if you experience infrequent rain fade now, your dish mount will settle a little over the next year (unless you have an extremely solid mount). That will drop your signal strength another ten points, and then you'll really be suceptible to rain fade (until you repeak your Dish 500).

-Jonathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.