AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Landlord is panicking again. "What will they do to my house?!" Local installers have not called me back (I just get their machines).

Installing on the roof will give my landlord a heart attack, so that is out. So I imagine the side of the house is the only other option???

I have seen some low res pictures on the net of satellites mounted on the sides of a brick wall. How is this done? How deep do they drill into the brick? If down the road, I move (and I will), can those holes be filled/repaired?

I desperately want DISH HD for my HDTV, but the install of the two satellites has my 74 year oldlandlord in a tizzy.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Uh - this might seem obvious, but why don't you just have the installer mount the dishes on fence posts and not on the house ? The only reason to mount on the house would be if you can't see the satellites any other way. This would keep you landlord happy, and it will be easier to clear any snow/ice off the dish if it accumulates.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I have seen some low res pictures on the net of satellites mounted on the sides of a brick wall. How is this done? How deep do they drill into the brick?
I installed a dish at a friend's house about 15 feet up on a brick wall. Using a masonry bit, I drilled four 1/2" holes THROUGH the brick. The hole had to be as deep as the bolts are long. Well, the bolts were longer than the thickness of the bricks. I put lead inserts in the holes and bolted the dish to the wall.

Quote:
If down the road, I move (and I will), can those holes be filled/repaired?
I have heard of but not actually seen a type of filler for this problem. Check with you local Home Depot.

-Robert

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
- this might seem obvious, but why don't you just have the installer mount the dishes on fence posts and not on the house ? The only reason to mount on the house would be if you can't see the satellites any other way.
That is possible. Maybe. It's a city like residential area, with no front yard and a small back yard. I may not have a LOS if I do that. I'll have to check. Ny next door neighbor's house is slightly taller than the one I live in.

If I put the pole way in the back, it would work, but then where does the cable go? It would have to stretch across the yard.

:( :( :(

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
That is possible. Maybe. It's a city like residential area, with no front yard and a small back yard. I may not have a LOS if I do that. I'll have to check. Ny next door neighbor's house is slightly taller than the one I live in.

If I put the pole way in the back, it would work, but then where does the cable go? It would have to stretch across the yard.

:( :( :(
So it does - bury it in 1.5 inch PVC a couple of inches deep until you get to the entry point at the house.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can buy a pole at home depot. You can mount it right next to your house as long as it is above the roof line and gives you the line of sight you need - doesn't need to be across the yard.

Or you could just do the roof and beg forgiveness. :D

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the pole option is out. The sides of the house are just concrete (sidewalk one side, driveway the other). The rear of the back yard would work, but the line of sight is blocked by a 3 story house.

So I will have to either side mount on brick on the rear/left wall, or side mount on shingles towards the front left wall.

I would have a better line of sight from the back of left side (brick section).

I think I am screwed. These old folks put new windows into the second floor two years ago and don't understand why my heat bill isn't low. Well, how about because they are cheap windows, inside old rotted frames and with only screens outside?! I have to put plastic up during the winter months.

Calgon, give me DISH!!! :eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
I have seen some low res pictures on the net of satellites mounted on the sides of a brick wall. How is this done? How deep do they drill into the brick? If down the road, I move (and I will), can those holes be filled/repaired?

I desperately want DISH HD for my HDTV, but the install of the two satellites has my 74 year oldlandlord in a tizzy.
Go to Home Depot and ask them for a pack of CONTAPs there are blue coated metal screws designed to screw into concrete or brink. If you are going into brick, get the 2 1/2" ones. There is a recommended drill bit you buy with them. These things hold extremely well. One screw can probably hold up a couple of hundred lbs if its done right. I used them to mound an OTA antenna on my chimney. Also get yourself a socket wrench which fits the hex screw caps and a grease pencil to mark the holes on the brick for drilling. Tell your landlord not to worry. When you move you unscrew the CONTAPs and remove your dish. Then you screw them back into the holes to plug them up so nothing gets in there.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Tell your landlord not to worry. When you move you unscrew the CONTAPs and remove your dish. Then you screw them back into the holes to plug them up so nothing gets in there.
I love this forum! Thank you for a damn good idea. I'm going to check this out and talk with it as soon as I can get ahold of the local DISH installer. This might work.

:D :cool:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The brick option works. My landlords approve and I am ordering from dishdepot.com. Thanks to all for helping me with ideas.

I will finally have HDTV on my HDTV! :cool:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i wonder if some epox would hold a dish to a brick wall.... hrmm.. i may have to try it this weekend :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The blue screws ismeltitudeltit is talking about are called "tappcons". They look like a blue drywall screw, they work well, but I don't know if I would trust them for many years if you get any kind of wind. I have been in const for over 10 yrs, and I would use what is called a "thunder-bolt". It consists of a sleeve and a bolt. Using a hammer-drill, drill a 3/8ths inch hole into the mortar(not the brick), slide the sleeve into the hole, then put the screw into the sleeve. The sleeve expands and presses against the brick. I would trust these forever.

By the way, tell your land lord, that his building is made from cement blocks, and the bricks are on the ouside for appearance. The bricks are not holding the house up, and in no way are your little holes going to affect the stability of the structure. When you remove the dish, just get a tub of cement crack filler. You can buy a very small tub of it for ten bucks or less, fill the holes and go your own way!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a Dish 500 installed about 30 feet up on the side of my brick house and it's rock solid. For that install, I used plastic anchors and also stuffed the brick with silicon. before I put the anchors in. My house is double-bricked so the bolts were not too long. When I put up my CM 4248 antenna, which is also mounted on the side of the house, I used lead anchors, which are much better.

My Dish 300 for 61.5 is mounted on a pole in the middle of the yard since I wouldn't have been able to see over the trees if I had mounted it on the side of the house, which was my first plan. The cable runs through conduit to the side of the house and then snakes up to my splitter.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Uh . . . why not just promise your landlord that you'll leave the dish there when you leave. Dishes are less than $100, so it is not a big loss. And this way, you are actually *improving* your landlord's property so he can advertise "satellite TV available" to the next tenant! A win-win situation.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked with the installer over the phone and he has everything needed for the brick install. Takes longer, but he says it's better than putting it on the roof. DISH DEPOT shipped my receiver out this evening and I should have it by Wed of next week (I hope). I would love to have it installed next Thursday, in time for CSI, but that's cutting it close. :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have used Tapcons for years to mount dishes to Brick and Cinderblock. As long as the brick is in good condition, there is rarely a problem. If the brick is to soft or to hard for the tapcons, I use Lead anchors and lag bolts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooper

So it does - bury it in 1.5 inch PVC a couple of inches deep until you get to the entry point at the house.
Why go though all that? Direct burial dual RG6 is perfect for the application.

Check here

1-1/2" PVC conduit, in any case, is far too big...3/4" is more than enough.

But any conduit run (unless you have to drive one under a walk or some such thing) is a waste of time and money, and installing it WILL give the landlord a coronary!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I had to put mine in conduit and bury it. I have a Mole problem in my yard and figured it would be better to run conduit,than to dig up the coax and replace it after the @#!%$ Moles chewed thru it !! :D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The conduit may seem like overkill but when something goes wrong you will be so glad you did it. Re-pulling a new cabel is a walk in the park, digging up the old and re-burying the new is not so fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.