AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I incorrectly put this in the 'programming' forum. Sorry for the double post...

Hi everyone. I am getting HD Dish installed later this month. Just wondering the pros and cons of leasing the equipment version owning it. The lady at the local Dish retail shop suggested leasing. If anything goes wrong with the receiver, a tech will come out and repair/replace it free of charge. Otherwise, I will have to pay a service fee.

What option do you think is best?

Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I went with owning my equipment (Free 811/301/301). My local retailer offers a lifetime warranty on the equipment, as long as I continue to subscribe to Dish Network. With the DHP deal (lease), you have to pay them $5 per month for the equipment lease. You might want to find out what their upgrade policy is when new equipment comes out. When you own your equipment you are stuck with it, but you can always sell what you have and buy something else. Also, my 301 receivers were refurbished, and my 811 was brand new. Not a big deal for me, but other people might be angry getting refurb equipment if they are going to own it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hell I have been fighting with Dish since December on the Free 811/301/301 deal and they keep telling me they cant fill my order because of no 811's. They are now telling me that they wont give me 2 301's as the deal has changed and they want me to take a 322(?) which is a single box w/a dual tuner that runs the second TV from 200Ft away. I dont know that I like that answer very well. I even offered to buy the equipment if they could get it to me and they say they cant even do that. I am just sick of Dish but at the rate these boxes change I am not sure I should switch to Direct and buy the Direct boxes as they are wanting to standardize them all. Be thankfull you got your 811 I say. And I thought it would be easy to get HDTV :p

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpinks
Hell I have been fighting with Dish since December on the Free 811/301/301 deal and they keep telling me they cant fill my order because of no 811's. They are now telling me that they wont give me 2 301's as the deal has changed and they want me to take a 322(?) which is a single box w/a dual tuner that runs the second TV from 200Ft away. I dont know that I like that answer very well. I even offered to buy the equipment if they could get it to me and they say they cant even do that. I am just sick of Dish but at the rate these boxes change I am not sure I should switch to Direct and buy the Direct boxes as they are wanting to standardize them all. Be thankfull you got your 811 I say. And I thought it would be easy to get HDTV :p
Have you tried contacting a local retailer/installer? When I contacted Dish directly they said they could put me on the waiting list. When I contacted a local retailer they had plenty of 811s and said they could do the installation in 2 days from the day I called! The local retailers offer the same promotions as Dish Network.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by redline65
Have you tried contacting a local retailer/installer? When I contacted Dish directly they said they could put me on the waiting list. When I contacted a local retailer they had plenty of 811s and said they could do the installation in 2 days from the day I called! The local retailers offer the same promotions as Dish Network.
Are you an existing dish subscriber? I am a subscriber in plano looking to upgrade to an 811- which local retailer did you go thru? What kind of deal did ya get?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bsic
Are you an existing dish subscriber? I am a subscriber in plano looking to upgrade to an 811- which local retailer did you go thru? What kind of deal did ya get?
I was a new subscriber, and I got the free 811/301/301 deal. I PM'd you with the retailer info.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpinks
My local retailers are all saying they wont honor this Dish deal, they tell me I have to go direct to Dish to get it.
Are you an existing or new subscriber?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lease baby, lease.

I got Dish, enjoyed it for a year with a PVR and a regular receiver, paid less than $100 combined in leasing them, new they would have cost 5 times that. Then cable made me a terrific offer - $80 for HD and all the same channels PLUS high-speed internet. Now, since I wasn't locked into Dish because of paying $500 for their receivers, I made the switch. Maybe I'll switch back next year. Who knows...

All I know is I wouldn't have foreseen Comcast making such a great offer, and the lease program gave me the flexibility to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
But people who own the system will not be locked into Dish after one year either, and if a new customer, no cost on the equipment as well, and they can sell their receivers, the lease require you to return the boxes.

The only reason I decided to go lease was because it was the only way to get an 811 and a 522 without any initial equipment cost. And I am locked into a two-year lease contract as a result.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
The only reason I decided to go lease was because it was the only way to get an 811 and a 522 without any initial equipment cost. And I am locked into a two-year lease contract as a result.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't own a 522 receiver. It is available for lease only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.