AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Dish Network and the HD channels including the locals in HD. I have a 55" new LG 55LH40 with a brand new Denon 2310CI receiver.

My issue is that on some local channels the picture is not the best quality at times. For example, I will be watching something and it will get blocky like and then clear up. No other channels does this happen on. Also it seems that if most of the local channels are cropped on the sides of the screen. I have the ratio set right so that is automatically adjusts and the other channels are fine. Just the local channels that are cropped on the sides.

Is this normal? Hoping someone can shed some light on this. The picture is not horrible just not what the other HD channels are and the blockiness is surprising to me being it is a HD channel.

Advice/suggestions? Or is this just how it is? I am new to HDTV so not really sure if there are still some issues/bugs out there with programming ect.

Thanks

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 /forum/post/16851130

I have Dish Network and the HD channels including the locals in HD. I have a 55" new LG 55LH40 with a brand new Denon 2310CI receiver.

My issue is that on some local channels the picture is not the best quality at times. For example, I will be watching something and it will get blocky like and then clear up. No other channels does this happen on.

It could be one of two issues; either you have a technical issue, or you're just noticing the HD image quality that Dish offers. If the image is completely breaking up with blocking and only on the local HD channels, I'd say to call for service.

Quote:
Also it seems that if most of the local channels are cropped on the sides of the screen. I have the ratio set right so that is automatically adjusts and the other channels are fine. Just the local channels that are cropped on the sides.

Not all programs on HD channels are HD. When you see the bars on the side, it's not HD. For HD locals, most prime time and late night are HD (except for most reality programs). See the HDTV Programming Synopsis in the HDTV Programming Forum for more info.

· Registered
4,893 Posts
Compare the locals via Dish (aka LiLs) to OTA if possible. The problem may the the locals themselves, especially if they are multicasting. Low bit rate MPEG2 gets even worse when re-encoded or rate-shaped by the providers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.