AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is incredible. In my area, there are a few DISH NETWORK installers and only one that is known to do good work. I called all three, asking for specifics on how they would install the two dishes into my brick domicile, only to find two of the three were so rude, so arrogant, so dismissive, that I would rather die than give them my business.

The third place, "Audio Works" in Bridgeport CT, was another story: Friendly, cooperative, nice as can be and answered all my questions. So I decided, they should get the job. Especially after seeing a system that was installed by them on a brick house. A very professional job.

Only thing is, DISH gives me "Whoever" as an installer and I have no say at all. After explaining why I do not want to allow two of their three area installers on my property, they said "All I can do is put the order through. I cannot choose your installer for you. I am sure you are just overreacting". Well, excuuuuuse me!!

Since the two **** places are closer to me, one them will likely get the job and I will not allow that.

I called DishDepot.com and the lady who answered the phone gave my message to Mark, and he is going to see what he can do, but I find this entire process (with Dish Network) to be disgusting.

When I wanted DISH last year, I could not have it because they had no CT installers, due to problems (which they did not specify). Well, they are back in CT, but they still have problems. Big problems. It's ridiculous that I cannot choose to have the better installer come to my home, when it is clear the others are not worthy of my business or any business. :mad:

Advice?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As stated in another thread, I cannot install it myself. My landlord will not permit it. That is NOT AN OPTION.

Besides, DISH will not allow the $9 special unlss it is professionally installed. And I have the certificate, so it's a waste not to use it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well, I don't see the problem here. If you want Dish to pay for the installation you can't pick and choose who they'll send. If you want your own installer then you have to pay for the installation. I think that's a fair arrangement. You can't have it both ways.

The reason you don't want the other installer is a personal one and has nothing to do with Dish, therefore to get what you want (your dish installed) you must be willing to give up something. If you don't want to give the installer your business out of principle then you must give up money i.e. pay for the installation by the other installer. If you don't want to give up the money, then you must give up your pride and allow Dish to send whoever they choose to send. Since the installation is free, it is not Dish's responsibility to send somebody you'll like, just somebody who'll do the job.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am surprised that Dish wont let you choose your installer. I called up the installer I wanted and gave him the certifitcate to install my dish. dishnet just gave me the list of installers. I dont see the problem.

Call up the installer of your choice and ask him if he will do it and give him the certificate. I have never heard of dish choosing your installer for you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Besides, DISH will not allow the $9 special unlss it is professionally installed.
They will - Just give them the code "ILIKE9" when you call to activate and tell them you're the installer. (Not that it matters to you since you can't do the install ;) ).

What you might want to do is put the order in and get the phone number for the "Installation Department" (I can't remember exactly what they're called, but they do the scheduling). You might be able to get someone on the line who can help you pick the installer that you want.

Alternatively, you could push the "Audio Works" people to work something out with the certificate and you activate it yourself.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Well, I don't see the problem here. If you want Dish to pay for the installation you can't pick and choose who they'll send. If you want your own installer then you have to pay for the installation. I think that's a fair arrangement. You can't have it both ways.
Sorry Vruiz, but I do not think so. I explained in detail the poor to downright rude customer service two of the three installers have. Their behavior was not only unacceptable, it was unprofessional and in one case, racist (see next paragraph).

I actually left out one thing because it is bound to be controversial, as people are so PC these days: I went down to one of the places and had to wait around for 20 minutes to talk to someone. It was a business owned and operated by a black man and all employees and customers inside were black. That SHOULD not be an issue. But this place made the papers last year for apparently rude behavior to white customers that resulted in a fist fight. So I go in and am waiting to be helped when I am rudely told, "Come back tomorrow, we are to busy." When I nicely asked for the manager, the girl started screaming at me! The manager came over, got in my face, and told me not to get his employees upset. I, of course, said that it was his employee that was upset, not me and that I simply wanted to talk about how they install DISH systems. He told me he was busy and to call tomorrow. He then walked away. I then left.

I WILL NOT allow those a**holes to come on my property. Period. I paid hundreds of dollars for this equipment, which includes free basic installation and BEFORE I bought it, I called DISH and they told me, flat out, that I could use Audio Works in Bridgeport. All I had to do was call DISH when the equipment arrives and ask for them. They clearly lied to me. Either that, or the person I spoke to didn't know what they were doing and DISH needed to make good on what I was promised. (by the way, Audio Works is filled with minority employes and they are as nice as can be. A great company.)

The folks at DishDepot.com agree with me 100% and are contacting DISH about this. I am not asking them to use a non-DISH installer. I am asking them to use a DISH installer that isn't a ******* and that does good work.

Unlike what you think, it is DISH's responsibility to send someone to do the job that will: A. Do it correctly and B. not treat me with complete disrespect. I am trusting this installer to set up my equipment properly, not damage the brick on the house that I rent and do a good job drilling through the wall!

You think I should let some shmucks who hate white people do this?! Or people who have no time to answer questions and are known for doing sloppy work, while there is a DISH installer near me who is known for doing excellent work and took the time to talk to me about the job?! I don't think so!!

Not to mention, DISH should not be telling me one thing last week, then something completely different this week. Had I been told last week that I had no choice in choosing my installer, I would not have bought a DISH system.

And let's not forget that last year, DISH stopped paying for installs in CT because of problems just like described above. This is fact. There were very serious problems and the company simply gave up on the state for a while. That's why I have not had a DISH system until now.

------------------

Roddie, Audio Works has no real incentive to help me out, as I am not buying the equipment from them (they want $200 more than I paid). They did try and help and I heard them speak with DISH on the phone, so they did go the extra mile for me.

I am hoping Mark at DishDepot.com can get back to me today.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, John. Who is that?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Take your DISH equipment back, get a refund, go to Radio Shack and buy a Directv system instead. They will install it free of charge right now, according to the TV commercials that were on this weekend.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DirecTV does not give me CBS in High Definition. That alone disqualifies them. I also hate the compression on DirecTV. It's quite excessive and clear as day on a large screen. I have spent, God, at least 100 hours researching satellite companies and DISH was the clear winner in all categories.

but as usual, it's the installation process that is the nightmare. I have heard horror stories from people who have DISH, Primestar and DirecTV. I wish I could install it myself, but I can't. That is the price I pay for renting (building a home next year. Can't friggin wait).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar problem. I called up and left messages with several local dishnetwork installers. None of them ever returned my calls. I wound up installing myself and still got the $9 deal anyways.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's been such a frustrating day and I won't know anything until at least noon tomorrow. DISH needs to get their act in gear. Customer satisfaction should come first and if there is a problem with local installers and a customer wants to go with one that is known for good service, then there should not be an issue.

It was terribly difficult getting permission from my landlord to get a DISH system and I will not give that old guy a stroke by allowing some lazy unprofessionals to come over and do God knows what to this house.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
DirecTV does not give me CBS in High Definition. That alone disqualifies them.

Of course, you're assuming WFSB in Hartford and WPRI in Providence will give you a waiver to receive WCBS-New York. Maybe you should find out in advance if you will get a waiver. Also the difference in PQ between DISH and Directv is highly exaggerated. On the stations that count (CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC,ESPN and the movie channels, etc.) I get an excellent NTSC image on a 65"Mits. The fringe stations that most people never watch are the borderline PQ stations.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Why don't you buy the equipment from Audio Works? They answered your questions, and seem to be capable of the type of work you require. They have earned your business. But yet, you seem to be interested in saving a little money by buying from an on-line dealer rather than the person who will actually be in your home providing the service.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Of course, you're assuming WFSB in Hartford and WPRI in Providence will give you a waiver to receive WCBS-New York. Maybe you should find out in advance if you will get a waiver.
I do not need a waiver. Stamford CT physical address = Qualifies for all Network channels. You cannot receive any channels via antenna in Stamford. It's a freaking wasteland. Well, PBS comes in. Sort of.

Quote:
Why don't you buy the equipment from Audio Works? They answered your questions, and seem to be capable of the type of work you require. They have earned your business. But yet, you seem to be interested in saving a little money by buying from an on-line dealer rather than the person who will actually be in your home providing the service.
First of all, DishDepot.com earned my trust when they gave my dad a good deal and replaced a defective receiver, no questions asked.

Second, as I already stated, DISH told me I could use Audio Works for the install. Then, when I called to schedule the appointment, they suddenly said, no, I could not! What's up with that?

Third, I gave Audio Works a chance to come close to DishDepot's price. I told them that I was willing to pay a little more. Well, $200 is not a litte money, Greg. Not to me or anyone else that isn't rich. I am doing well, but my much prettier half would kick my ass out of the bedroom if I spent $200 more and she would have every right.

I should not have to fight to get good service or an installer of my choice, who happens to be DISH's main installer for this area! There should be no problem! :mad: But DISH says, rather dismissively, that they will send whoever they feel like, despite the 100% negative experience I had with the other two local installers and despite their promise to me last week that I could use Audio Works. That's unacceptable, people.

I'll know more by Tuesday afternoon.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
I'll know more by Tuesday afternoon.
I'll bet that Mark will be able to help you out..

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
While building permits are not typically required for Dish installs, there are safety issues that must be addressed. They must ground the system, per NEC AND Local city regulations. If the installation is shoddy to the point where the dish could tear loose in the wind and hit somebody, the city can step in and force you to correct it.

At that point you have rock solid grounds for a law suit against the installer and possibly Dish.

But based on your previous comments about these people, I'm not sure you would want to **** with them. A law suit might really make them mad.

My advice is eat the cost of a professional installer you like. After all you saved money on the hardware. Just tell Dish their installer is not acceptable and you waive the free installation. I'm sure they will allow that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.