AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a newbie wanting to go HD but my building's cable company RCN is in bankrupcy and does not even offer it in Chicago. So, my only option is a dish.

My condo has a good sized terrace on which I could install a D* dish. But, the terrace is cut into the side of the building and the view in all four directions is impeded. On the north and east sides it is faced by high rise buidings, on the south and west sides it is faced by the walls of the building. I can only orient a dish straight up with a 20-30 degree angle N-S and E-W to point to.

I have always heard that you must orient a dish to the south or southwest. Yesterday an installer said it could face any direction. That was news to me. If he's right, my next question is whether that must be an unobstructed view - like the entire eastern sky or the entire western sky. Can you get quality reception with the narrow slice that I have?

Wayne

·
Registered
456 Posts
That installer is full of it. The dish must point to a VERY specific place in the sky. You'll need to be able to see the south-southwest. Basically you have to aim toward Texas.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maharg,

Thanks for your replies. By this I take it you mean 'above the equator' not 'north of the equator'? If it were far enough north of the equator we'd have to point north to see it. Also, why south and west not south or south and east?

Wayne

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, I mean if you are at the equator you would look basically straight up to see them. There are satellites to the south east as well, such as Voom at 61.5 degrees west longitude, but the main Directv satellites are at 101, 110, and 119 degrees west longitude, which are more toward the south-southwest. Those slots are rated as being full CONUS (Continental US) which means all 48 contiguous states can see them.

Here's a handy calculator that will tell you where in the sky you need to aim.

http://monsterfm.com/engineering/pointdish.htm

"Directv 101" would be of main concern if you wanted Directv service.

"Echostar 1&2" if you want Dishnetwork

or punch in a longitude of 61.5 for Voom.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this does help a lot. Thanks for the link. With my of latitude 87 west satellites will be south and varying amounts west of me. So I need to face the southern sky and be able to orient west. What if I move to another building facing south on a lower floor and there is a taller high rise to the south that blocks my view at 39 degrees elevation? Am I SOL then?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep, elevation is just as important as azimuth, so if you've got something blocking height-wise you're SOL too.

What a lot of people do is rig up a little "satellite finder" with a toilet paper or paper towel tube and a protractor, then take it to the location in question and look through the tube and see if you can see sky or an obstruction.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:
What if I move to another building facing south on a lower floor and there is a taller high rise to the south that blocks my view at 39 degrees elevation? Am I SOL then?
The official rule-of-thumb is: "An unobstructed view of the southern sky."

Buildings in the way will kill your chances. The microwave signals from satellites are very line-of-sight.

--Dan

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like just one more battle for this urban warrior. That means either a building with Comcast or else living on the western edge of development. Otherwise, there are high rises everywhere. Thanks for the tips and insights, everyone. I love this forum.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
As your building if you can get one on the roof. They make non-permanent mounts (they use cinderblocks to hold them down).

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
You can always hide it so it's invisible like by a drain pipe or some decorative part of the building that would conceal it.

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
If it really is that high, then you have a central section of the building where the utulities run, power, cable, telephone, and you can snake it through there.

Seth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.