AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It is proprietary. If you go to the Echostar corporate Website there are details. However it isn't much more capable than a VCR at this point--none of the advanced features that Replay or TiVo offer. I believe it captures the digital stream directly--all recordings are of one quality.

Cheers!

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True... But if all the really cool features are just software, how far away can they be? My thought is if it already has true digital signal, 2 tuners, 30 sec skip, and 10 sec replay, it's not that bad. The kicker is seeing when/if they plan on adding the software features that would make it worth while. I have no plans on switching. However, if they start to compare feature to feature, continue to have 2 tuners, and still comes FREE with the service...well....

Basically since Replay is going after the upper crust customer, I may have to re-evaluate my PVR company when I decide to upgrade. Since I have 2 PVHS2000 that may be a little while. By that time, I'm sure there will be more choices out there!

-mitch

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You may be referring to the 721, but I believe it's still vaporware. They can't seem to get the single tuner PVR's working right yet (DP and 501). Since E* never heard of beta-testing, hopefully there will be a lot of foolhardy early adopters on the lunatic fringe to let us know how things go.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The 721 is due out at the end of this year or beginning of next. Price will be $499 and it will have a 120Gig HD.

Steve

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
So it should record at pristine quality for 120 hours or so, right? Looking at it from a capacity perspective that seems like a better deal than the $2000 "320 hour" single tuner Replay 4000, that will also record only for about 120 hours at best quality. Now if E* could only get it to be more reliable than their past efforts have been and include some basic functions that the 501 doesn't have, like theme-recording, searches, and slo-mo.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomCat
So it should record at pristine quality for 120 hours or so, right? Looking at it from a capacity perspective that seems like a better deal than the $2000 "320 hour" single tuner Replay 4000, that will also record only for about 120 hours at best quality. Now if E* could only get it to be more reliable than their past efforts have been and include some basic functions that the 501 doesn't have, like theme-recording, searches, and slo-mo.
I'm pretty sure that it will do 40 hours not 120 hours. It records at pristine quality which is about 3 gig per hour.

--Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech

I'm pretty sure that it will do 40 hours not 120 hours. It records at pristine quality which is about 3 gig per hour.
If it's like all the other satellite recorders it should record around 100 hrs. of programming at it's proposed 120 GB HD size.

The question is will it work reliably without glitches. Echostar doesn't have a great rep for getting the bugs out.

If it works well and is available cheap enough with no service fee it'd be a viable simple option to the recorders which offer all those computer programming choices. The ability to record at high quality without tape and to replay a recording at the same time it's being recorded makes any recorder a lot more convenient and simple to use.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech

--Matthew in CO.
With a 120 HD it had better do better than that. My 501 has a 40G Maxtor and does over 35 hours at better quality than any standalone. The "60 hour" Tivo design (not sure it ever saw the light of day) was based on a 72G with a 60G partition for recording and a 12G partition for Tivo special promos. I'm less sure of this, but I thought I heard that the Replay 4K "320" hour had dual 160G HD's.

Regardless, bottom line, if that's the case the 721 still looks to have the same capacity as the 320 4K at pristine quality for about one-fourth the price. Do the other bells and whistles on the 4K plus it's assumed better reliability pedigree make up for the other $1500? It will be interesting to see. Does the 4K even have dual tuners?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:

Does the 4K even have dual tuners?
:) Well this I know for certain...the 4000 does not come with dual tuners. I'm glad to hear that the Dish PVR will use HD space more efficiently. Makes me want to get one.

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

Does the 4K even have dual tuners?
The 501 and 721 are satellite only recorders and not comparable to the 4000 ReplayTV in most ways.

I doubt the announced $500. list price of the 721 will be much more than fiction. What's of interest is what the real price will be and whether there'll be a service fee requirement. The 721 could be a great simple dual tuner machine but I'd wait a li'l while before buying one--unless you want to be a beta testor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.