AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dishnet has once again rearranged their "ethnic" channel numbers.

My wife's Greek language programming has moved from the old channel 601-605 range to channel 9829 thru 9833 range now.

Problem is... the Replay Channel guide doesn't go into 4-digit channels, so now we can't see her channels in the Channel Guide. I've reset my zipcode- and set the provider as Dishnet- National lineup with no results.

Any Ideas how to get the channel Guide to show the new 4-digit Dish Network channels?

Thanks.... Rob

FWIW- here's the (pretty) current Dish Network channel lineup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dish_Network_channels_in_the_United_States

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22222878

Dishnet has once again rearranged their "ethnic" channel numbers.

My wife's Greek language programming has moved from the old channel 601-605 range to channel 9829 thru 9833 range now.

Problem is... the Replay Channel guide doesn't go into 4-digit channels, so now we can't see her channels in the Channel Guide. I've reset my zipcode- and set the provider as Dishnet- National lineup with no results.

Any Ideas how to get the channel Guide to show the new 4-digit Dish Network channels?

Thanks.... Rob

It is possible that your RTV has remapped the 4-digit channels to an unused 3-digit channel.

Have you scrolled through your RTV Channel Lineup to see if the programming callsign has been moved to something else?

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22223424

It is possible that your RTV has remapped the 4-digit channels to an unused 3-digit channel.
Can it do that?

If that has happened (I'll have to look at the Channel Guide), would it still tune to the correct 4-digit channel on the Dishnet receiver via the I.R. balster?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22223564

Can it do that?

If that has happened (I'll have to look at the Channel Guide), would it still tune to the correct 4-digit channel on the Dishnet receiver via the I.R. balster?

If Tribune Media has picked up on the change, the simplest way to see if your RTV will tune the correct channel is to go to Setup, and look at the lineup for your service. Those digits are the ones that the RTV will send to the IR blaster, regardless of how they are mapped on your Channel Guide.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have 4 digit channels in my program guide.

I have directv and cable connected,

When I put the directv on the cable went to 4 digits.

All by itself on a 5500.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22234814

All by itself on a 5500.
Understood- but does DTV have native 4-digit channel numbers?

My issue is- we want to watch the Greek language channel "ERT" on Dishnet channel 9830- our Replay guide stops at ch 999.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22235632

My issue is- we want to watch the Greek language channel "ERT" on Dishnet channel 9830- our Replay guide stops at ch 999.

The only experience I have is recently with my own 5500. As I said I added a DirecTV box to the unit on another input after a cable input on the tuner.

The Cable channels were shifted by the ReplayTV to 4 digits at that time, 1000+

I suspect this is what is supposed to happen on yours but for some reason it did not.

I suggest what you should try is to reset up the inputs on the ReplayTV and it might handle it all correctly as long as the guide data is correct.

Mine was, but I can't say if the Dish data is correct or not.

You should try and see if it fixes the problem. I think it's supposed to but there are obviously dependencies .

·
Banned
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22235946

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22235632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22234814

All by itself on a 5500.

The only experience I have is recently with my own 5500. As I said I added a DirecTV box to the unit on another input after a cable input on the tuner.

The Cable channels were shifted by the ReplayTV to 4 digits at that time, 1000+

I suspect this is what is supposed to happen on yours but for some reason it did not.

I suggest what you should try is to reset up the inputs on the ReplayTV and it might handle it all correctly as long as the guide data is correct.

Mine was, but I can't say if the Dish data is correct or not.

You should try and see if it fixes the problem. I think it's supposed to but there are obviously dependencies .

As Doug explained, the ReplayTV only supports 3-digit channel numbers in the Channel Guide, it uses the 4th digit, when necessary, for different inputs. You can read about it here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/channelmapping.htm

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayLurker  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22236475

As Doug explained, the ReplayTV only supports 3-digit channel numbers in the Channel Guide, it uses the 4th digit, when necessary, for different inputs. You can read about it here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/channelmapping.htm

I had an exception to this once (on a 2020). I had cable (no digital available then) that used channels 2-71. I then added DirecTV (no local channels). This became:

2-71 cable

100-999 satellite

Nothing was put in the 1xxx area.

·
Banned
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22236822

I had an exception to this once (on a 2020). I had cable (no digital available then) that used channels 2-71. I then added DirecTV (no local channels). This became:

2-71 cable

100-999 satellite

Nothing was put in the 1xxx area.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get too much into specifics, just explaining the situation. If the RTV can fit multiple input lineups together, it will. Your case had to be pretty special at the time, that DirecTV didn't have any channels under 100, so that's why it could squeeze them together. Anyway, the OP was about having a single channel lineup with more than 3-digit channels, so that's what the page on ReplayTVUpgrade addresses...

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys- guess I'll have to look through all the channels on the guide to see if our 4-digit Dishnet channels are indeed being remapped to 3-digit channel numbers.

My new Dish 500 Plus dish (for Western Arc coverage) is due to arrive sometime this week- so I'll be installing it next weekend.

Kind of a pita- but, it is what it is at this point with a 10 y.o. system...

Thanks again... Rob

PS- nice thing is, my original Lifetime 5040 crapped out- so I was able to pop it's socketed eeprom out and simply place it in one of the three spare 5040's I had bought for spares last year.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
SUBTITLE: Yeah, But, Umm, It *REALLY* Wasn't Necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide/0_50#post_22242406

...PS- nice thing is, my original Lifetime 5040 crapped out- so I was able to pop it's socketed eeprom out and simply place it in one of the three spare 5040's I had bought for spares last year.

But, you see, as of June/July 2011, *ALL* 5XXXs, both Monthly and Lifetime, became
'Activated'
(aka Lifetime), so, you really didn't have to bother moving the EEPROM.

Read the AVS Archives for that 2-month period for more details.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand  /t/1420462/dish-network-4-digit-channel-numbers-dont-show-up-in-the-channel-guide#post_22244004

SUBTITLE: Yeah, But, Umm, It *REALLY* Wasn't Necessary.

But, you see, as of June/July 2011, *ALL* 5XXXs, both Monthly and Lifetime, became
'Activated'
(aka Lifetime), so, you really didn't have to bother moving the EEPROM.

Read the AVS Archives for that 2-month period for more details.
Yup, thanks- I know all the RTV's are lifetime now- but Since I was moving our 300GB? HD over to the replacement unit- it only took another 20 seconds to swap the eeproms. It also kept my network settings, inputs, remote codes, etc.. this way.

My new dish arrived today... so it's up to the roof next! Found a dish aiming app for my Nexus 7 tablet- I plan on using it for the rough alignment...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts