AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted (link fixed) about this in the HDTV Hardware forum, but...

At Team Summit this week, Dish Network has their proposed HDTV system on display. It includes a 40" 16x9 HDTV monitor, HDTV receiver, and new 26" Superdish single-dish HDTV solution for $1499 MSRP.

Further details / specifications on this monitor package and its availability are not yet available. See this page for pictures.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No one else is making a 16:9 tube in such a large size (40").

What makes them think they can do it well, and do it cheaply?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's probably a 38" tube (they can get away with calling it 40" if they call it a monitor). Still have no idea what the heck this is supposed to be, though...

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Sign me up!

What happened to the topic linked in your message? It appears to be pulled/gone...

Also, the link to the summit only works for MS-IE, not for Netscape...

The box looks like they plan to include (a now discontinued) model 6000?!

Also - whazzup with the "Super Dish"? Does that suggest that HD will be moved away from 148/61.5?

Will that one dish see the main sats as well as the side sats at the same time?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fixed the link at the top.

Although Eldon was indicated as the manufacturer for the smaller display shown back at CES, there are reports going around that this television uses a tube from RCA / Thomson. Perhaps it even uses an updated version of the tube originally found in the RCA 38", but with new chassis and updated electronics? Hopefully, we'll get confirmation in the next day or two.

This setup isn't likely to be released before August / September (which is when the new "super dish" will become available), so I wouldn't take the pictured 6000 as the final say on the HDTV receiver it will include.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
They cannot get away with calling it a 40" if they are selling it as a TV. It is scandalous they would even suggest it was a 40" when U.S. law makes this a 38" TV.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sounds like this could be a deal for SAT fans. I remember not too many years ago the Professional Kodak Digital Cameras were selling for almost $20,000 a pop. Now Kodak's latest DCS-14n (14-megapixel chip) goes for around $4500. Ain't competition great!! I'm hoping those Plasma TV's go the same way in the near future!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its probably leftover refurbished RCA 38" 16:9 sets (uses a 40" tube). Perhaps it is outside the USA where they use the tube size, as opposed to the viewable size for measurement.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
They cannot get away with calling it a 40" if they are selling it as a TV. It is scandalous they would even suggest it was a 40" when U.S. law makes this a 38" TV.
They also cannot label it as a monitor if it cannot support 1024x768 or even 1280x720 computer resolutions and work well with computers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kharvel
They also cannot label it as a monitor if it cannot support 1024x768 or even 1280x720 computer resolutions and work well with computers.
Why not? Computer monitors have been produced in 640x480 and lower resolutions for a long time. Is there some regulation that says all monitors have to be 1024x768 now?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Its probably leftover refurbished RCA 38" 16:9 sets (uses a 40" tube). Perhaps it is outside the USA where they use the tube size, as opposed to the viewable size for measurements.
No. The Dish Network set is being designed and manufactured (the chassis and electronics) by Elden. Thomson sells its tube to anyone that wants to buy it to produce a television.

The RCA 38" and Dish Network 40" may share the same picture tube, but just about everything else will be different. If the Dish 40" is flat, that may imply use of a newer model tube than found in the non-flat RCA 38".

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BradJudy
Why not? Computer monitors have been produced in 640x480 and lower resolutions for a long time. Is there some regulation that says all monitors have to be 1024x768 now?
I heard that Windows XP works at no lower than 800x600 (SVGA). 1024x768 (XGA) is the standard resolution today.

OK, a monitor doesn't need to have 1024x768 but it still can't be called a monitor unless it can work with a computer plug and play.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You can't sell a TV as a TV and inflate the size by calling it a monitor. The rules are designed to explicitly prohibit this kind of crap.

It's not a 40" tube, by TV standards.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kharvel
I heard that Windows XP works at no lower than 800x600 (SVGA). 1024x768 (XGA) is the standard resolution today.

OK, a monitor doesn't need to have 1024x768 but it still can't be called a monitor unless it can work with a computer plug and play.
Not to belabor a point, but there is no 'standard' resolution and a computer monitor does not have to be plug-and-play. Nor is Windows XP the ruler by which computer monitors are measured. (sorry, but it's the industry I work in) :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lets get back to whether this is a legit deal or not and if anybody knows what kind of "monitor" or TV it is. This has definitly piqued my interest

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.