AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently subscribe to Dish Network SD service, and I don't anticipate upgrading to HD programming any time soon.

However, I'm thinking about grabbibg a used Dish Network 811 receiver strictly to take advantage of its component or DVI video output.

Will this box work with my current SD service?

thanks,

JohnB

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yes, what do you expect to gain using component or DVI though?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Matt. I'm just trying to get a little better picture quality over the S-Video connection I'm currently using. I know with other SD video sources (DVD, etc.) Component is somewhat better than S-Video.

I know - you're probably asking why I don't just upgrade to HD programming.

A couple reasons:

1) So much of the current programming is still broadcast in SD anyway.

2) Dish Network's HD lineup is pretty lame, especially considering the additional cost per month.

3) My Panasonic plasma TV has "Justify" (SmartStertch) mode, which actually does a pretty decent job of scaling 4:3 SD signals to 16:9. I'm sure this is anathema to all the videophiles and film freaks, but I actually find it to be very watchable.

4) Call me crazy, but I'm even thinking about trying a Gefen Home Theater Scaler PLUS. Supposedly, that will do a fairly decent job of upscaling my satellite, DVD, and computer signals to 1080P.

Between SmartStretch and the Gefen scaler, I'm hoping to get a full-screen, somewhat-less-than-perfect 1080P image at a fraction of the cost of HD programming.

I know this is all probably blashemy to the HD Heads on these forums, but I think I'm gonna hold off on upgrading my programming for now.

best,

JohnB

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
No problem, not sure if the improvement will be worth the cost or not but yes there's no reason that receiver won't get just SD programming.

I can't comment on Dish, I have Directv personally. I can usually find something in HD worth watching though yes a number of channels still carry SD programming on their SD channels also. You might want to consider at least OTA digital if you're in range of your broadcast towers to go along with your Dish programming.

I'm not going to knock you for not wanting HD programming, it's your TV and your money, you can do what you want with it, personally for me, I had the mentality I just paid all this money for an HD capable set when I bought mine a couple years back, I want some HD on it so I can see what it can really do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have Dish Network SD with the 625 DVR. You will not get any better picture going component. 480i is the best you will get.

TurboHD is missing one channel otherwise I would jump on it, my contract has been over. I need Nick Jr.

Directtv is too expensive for HD and all the channels I watch, which is not much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I realize the component signal will still be 480i. But I've always found component to be superior color-wise over S-video, even with analog video signals. Supposedly it's because component further separates chrominance into two signals; whereas S-video uses only one signal for chrominance.

I'm now also wondering how that Gefen scaler will will work along with the TV's SmartStretch mode. I think Gefen recommends that you bypass the TV's built-in scaler (ie: set the aspect ratio to "default" or "native" or whatever). Perhaps the Gefen box has its own version of a SmartStretch mode. I'll have to contact them & find out.

JohnB

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeekman /forum/post/15572717

Dish Network's HD lineup is pretty lame, especially considering the additional cost per month.

?

You are confused. They have over 65 national HD channels.

And as far as upscaling SD, well, you are confused.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15577300

?

You are confused. They have over 65 national HD channels.

Yes, I'm aware of Dish Network's HD channel lineup. I simply meant that for me, the channels they offer aren't that great a deal when I consider the additional cost.

In any case, I've decided to go with Time Warner Cable: it has the HD channels I want at a much more reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15577300

?

And as far as upscaling SD, well, you are confused.

Perhaps it would be more helpful to elaborate on exactly how I'm misinformed on the SD upscaling issue, instead of just saying I'm "confused". Otherwise, you come off like just another cranky, more-knowledeable-than-thou forum moderator.

JohnB

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't spend much money. The 811 is an mpeg2 device. Dish is in the process of switching the codecs from mpeg 2 to mpeg4. When that happens completely you will not receive a satellite signal from the 811. Some channels have already changed over. If you buy now, I doubt Dish will send you a new receiver. IMO, the 811 was much better with OTA signals and I seem to remember that there is a way to use it for that purpose if connected to a satellite feed. I don't know if that will continue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, Gator.

Yes, I became aware in my research that the 811 wouldn't be suitable if I ever decided to upgrade to Dish Network HD programming because they were phasing out MPEG2. I was only considering it because it had component and DVI outputs.

In any case, as I said in a previous post, I've now decided to just go with Time Warner HD. They're gonna set me up with all new receivers, and everything will be honky-dory.

best,

JohnB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts