AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You really should try using the search function first. "811" will pull up more information than you probably ever wanted.

Brian

·
Registered
576 Posts
m_nieft: This unit is a piece of crap. Please look up my comments about this unit. There are many free Directv HD box deals out there, you should look at those first before buying a 811.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Working good for me. Picture isn't dark for me, I actually had to turn the brightness and contrast down from where I had it for cable. OTA tuning works fine, but there are some bugs. Sometimes you lose sound, but changing channels brings it back. Also the Recall button doesn't work for OTA channels. I haven't been able to get the current show to display in the guide window either. If you don't mind waiting for firmware updates, go for it.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The 811 is an excellent receiver. There are two major issues and a few minor issues. Dark S-Video output and a limited guide (few hours). Both should be fixed in the next couple of software updates. The guide should be 48 hours or so after a future update. Switching between aspect modes in almost instantaneous without the momentary loss of picture that happens with the 6000. The picture in guide is great, but it takes some time for it to first appear. Hopefully to be fixed in the near future.

Regarding recommendations to use some DirecTV boxes, just read about persistent bugs in some of those boxes. Nothing is perfect. You'll have to read the reviews and make a choice that seem best for you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My experiences with the 811 are about the same as redline65's. The current show will display in the guide window, but only after the guide has been up for a few minutes. Also the guide will only read a couple of hours into the future. But since it was free, it's really not that bad. I have no regrets about getting it.

The OTA tuner seems good too. It pulls in stations better than the Moto OTA tuner I had before.

err.... JerryJ took the words out of my mouth

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by m_nieft
errr...how do you get the free receiver?
There is *not* a current (or past) promotion for a free D* HD receiver.

Brian

·
Registered
576 Posts
Most of you that own the 811 and other HD boxes, know that the 811 is an inferior receiver. For one it loses the Sat signal anytime you are on OTA for more than a half hour. If it does not lock on to a OTA station, that station will be unmapped. How about the infamous “no info†in the guide, or no guide for the OTA, or no picture in the upper right corner when you are surfing through the guide because it is searching for a signal even though it has one. I think you guys are so into HD that you are putting up with things you would not put up with if it were only a SD box. All of the things that I have mentioned do not happen on any of the DirecTV boxes I own. In my opinion, Just having a good picture is not the only thing one should look for when buying the 811

As for the free DirecTV HD systems I deleted a free "one HD box, four room install" E-mail. If I find the site that sent the offer I will post it here.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 811 may not be perfect, but it does everything I need. It is a second source OTA HD receiver to let me get HD PIP with my internal tuner on the Hitachi 51s700. It gives me the E* HD linup. And I have no picture problems.

If E* had not released the 811 when it did, all we would have around here is a bunch of 811 "vaporware" posts. Let's be happy we have a workable unit and let E* fix the minor problems with updates.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is the other problem with DISH, they have limited choices for HDreceivers, so you are forced to put up with it unless you switch to DirecTV.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mine works great! One thing about the OTA...IF I get the signal it stays put...so that is good. Plus I got mine for nothing...so I have patience to wait for updates...but really, the guide isn't a bother either...nothing is perfect, if your in line for it, I'd wait...because once you cancel it sounds as though the deal will not be back:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthJedi
For one it loses the Sat signal anytime you are on OTA for more than a half hour.
I have never experienced this.

Quote:
If it does not lock on to a OTA station, that station will be unmapped.
Again, I have never experienced this.

Quote:
How about the infamous “no info†in the guide, or no guide for the OTA, or no picture in the upper right corner when you are surfing through the guide because it is searching for a signal even though it has one.
This is definitely a problem. Also don't forget the issue with losing sound on an OTA channel, which is probably the most annoying problem. Should there be a guide for OTA? How would it retrieve the information for your OTA stations?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by redline65
I have never experienced this.

Again, I have never experienced this.

Should there be a guide for OTA? How would it retrieve the information for your OTA stations?
Yes there should, I like to see what is coming on. Timers would work.

As for where the guide would come from. DirecTV does this just fine, so I find any excuse by Dish unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by redline65
How would it retrieve the information for your OTA stations?
In my case, my OTA channels are OTA duplicates of channels E* already offers (and provides guide info for), but I obviously use them for HD programming. Shouldn't take much effort to get guides for those channels. FWIW, on the original topic, I think the 811 is fine for free. If I paid for it I'd be pretty upset.

My $.o2,

Brian

·
Registered
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stickyfingers
If I paid for it I'd be pretty upset.

My $.o2,

Brian
I got mine for free too, I only use it for recording through the SD out to my replayTV so I get a better picture for those shows in HD. If I had to rely on this unit for everyday OTA/SAT-HD use, I would be mad; Free or not.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have had mine all of two weeks and have had to unplug the A/C cord 3 times to get it to work again! Last night the picture was black, with just the lettering on top, showing the show title, but no picture, another time the picture was going in slow motion, and another time i had no sound? Three separate malfunctions and thats not all...Sometimes it deletes my local digitals by itself as i channel up, i notice one or more channels are gone? Then i go into menu get things back to normal, delete my PBS sub carrier channels press save and check things out.."OK it works" i exclaim!.I channel down and back up and there are the damn sub channels back in the memory again?..As Yoda would say.."serious issues this has"....I bought my 811 with the 40" RPTV and i`m not very pleased with my purchase..If i could do over, my money would stay in my savings account!

·
Registered
138 Posts
To this day, I cannot find any other offer by any other company that'll give you a free HD receiver, period. I will put up with a few minor problems with my 811 rather than pay the few hundred $ for another company's HD receiver.

Currently, only 3 things bother me: losing OTA sound rarely, losing OTA channels, 811 demanding "multiswitch check. All of these problems are instantly fixable within 10-20 seconds with hard reset, and 811 works fine for awhile after. Not to mention the stunning PQ in HD and OTA digital channels.

Being an audiophile, I am used to even $4000-10,000 audio gear giving you significantly more problems, a lot of which are NOT instantly fixable. A lot of audiophiles kind of expect that of audio gear and grudgingly put up with it, EVEN after paying multi thousand $ for it. My 811 was free, gives me the best PQ I've ever had, and there's some hope that some of the "problems" may even be fixed later. I would do it again...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigrushhead
I have had mine all of two weeks and have had to unplug the A/C cord 3 times to get it to work again! Last night the picture was black, with just the lettering on top, showing the show title, but no picture, another time the picture was going in slow motion, and another time i had no sound? Three separate malfunctions and thats not all...Sometimes it deletes my local digitals by itself as i channel up, i notice one or more channels are gone? Then i go into menu get things back to normal, delete my PBS sub carrier channels press save and check things out.."OK it works" i exclaim!.I channel down and back up and there are the damn sub channels back in the memory again?..As Yoda would say.."serious issues this has"....I bought my 811 with the 40" RPTV and i`m not very pleased with my purchase..If i could do over, my money would stay in my savings account!
My 811 has the same problems yours has. Instead of unpluging you can hold the power button down for 6 sec. This will cause it to reboot. I am not a fan of Dish at all I only have them because I thought they might be better than D* and I wanted to get the 921 for firewire. I am so glad I kept D* as well. I will probably drop Dish when I see VOOM make some major moves.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.