AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 5040 to work after trying to download channel guide 10 times, but now I'm having an issue with trying to watch network channels. I've got a dish antenna mounted on my DISH Network dish. The coax runs into a splitter and separates into the two COAX inputs of the receiver. I'm running AV cables from AV outs on receiver to RTV IN 2 and the COAX out into the COAX in of the RTV.

The remote controls the receiver well through the IR Blaster, but I cannot navigate to the network channels. DISH only goes as low as channel 100 so I can't even view CBS, ABC, etc. If I turn off the satellite and want to work off of the COAX input, it tells me that I've got no signal.

When I channel surf to, say channel 5, RTV tells me I'm on channel 5, but the satellite stays on whatever satellite channel I am watching.

What's weird is that at first, I was able to get the network channels, but the DISH told me that I didn't have a signal to the satellite channels.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You have to look at your satellite system and off air antenna as two seperate entities..unless you have an older receiver like the 5000 model which i have, which incorporates the local channels on to receivers channel grid....unless dish has come out with newer model that also does this?...most dont however...and depending how your system was configured by installer, in most applications you need to turn off your receiver, then got to your local channel on your tv..ie..channel 5, 9, 13 or whatever. if you dont plan on ever taping local channels, you can put coax directly to tv from outside antenna and then you wont have to turn receiver off whenever you want to watch local tv, as you said your tv has composite inputs(video1..video2)..hope this helps

·
Registered
901 Posts
You have to look at your satellite system and off air antenna as two seperate entities..unless you have an older receiver like the 5000 model which i have, which incorporates the local channels on to receivers channel grid....unless dish has come out with newer model that also does this?...most dont however...and depending how your system was configured by installer, in most applications you need to turn off your receiver, then go to your local channel on your tv..ie..channel 5, 9, 13 or whatever. if you dont plan on ever taping local channels, you can put coax directly to tv from outside antenna and then you wont have to turn receiver off whenever you want to watch local tv, as you said your tv has composite inputs(video1..video2).also if you havnt done so already, go to menu on tv and tell it you have an vhf-uhf antenna and not cable, as you will be missing uhf channels if you dont do this.......hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I need to be able to tape local channels. When I turn off the receiver though, I don't get any signal whatsoever. This shouldn't be the case since the sat. receiver is only acting as a pass-through for the antenna signal. Don't know what to try next.

·
Registered
334 Posts
As I understand it, you have the dish channels going through your A/V and the locals via COAX.

Are you setup for two sources in your Replay setup?

Dish via the A/V, and Cable/Ant via the Coax?

If you connect the Coax coming from the dish to directly to the TV, do you see the locals?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're understanding is correct. Yes, I am set up as stated. Yes I see locals. I am able to see locals if I don't use the RTV (TV, VCR). It's only when I try viewing them through the RTV that I encounter problems. I saw a thread about network channels appearing in the 800 and 900 range. I may try that when I get home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.