AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something that I'm missing regarding Dish's advertising. With all that they have going on with HDTV, why is it never mentioned in their advertising? It would seem, to me anyway, that this would be a big thing for them to use to get new subscribers. They're so far ahead of DirecTV and cable with HD, how come they're not using it as a sales tool?

Dave W.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good question. I'd like to know the answer myself. Having the most HD channels is their key selling point.

------------------

My current entertainment setup:

Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't think they advertise it more heavily because HD-capable households are still in the minority. In reality, their biggest selling point is their lower priced programming. They get plenty of HD advertising on these home theater forums. I think in the future they'll advertise it more, and I'm really happy that they are leading the way right now. But there's just not enough of an HD consumer base to justify advertising dollars for a handful of HD movies on HBO-HD and SHO-HD, and the same couple of PPV HD movies every month.

Adding CBS changes things, but let's not forget it's not being transmitted just yet. A lot can happen between now and September.

When the time is right, you can bet that Dish will be advertising how they led the way as the first DBS service to carry the most HD material as well as a national network feed of HDTV. Charlie's too smart to let that opportunity pass, but also smart enough to know when to use it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.