AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what exactly this is needed for. Is it just for initialization purposes or do you need to have it connectected at all times? I do not watch PPV channels, so no need for it there.

Also, how exactly does it work? Does it clog up a phone line or what? Thanks for any help here.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Oddly, my DirectTV two-receiver setup insisted that the

two receivers both be connected to a phone line in order

for the two-receiver discount to be available. That is

a mere $4.95 for the second receiver, instead of a whole

second set of charges. I don't use PPV so I was annoyed,

but I had to do it (with wireless satellite/base station

equipment since the receivers weren't near a phone jack).

In contrast, my Dish two-receiver setup never made such

a request. The two receiver setup is available, and they

seem to trust me.

And again, since I don't use PPV I never had any need to

connect the two receivers to a phone line.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The primary purpose for the phone line connection is to let the receiver send Dish your PPV purchases, for billing. It also confirms your geographical location for network programing.

It is not necessary to have a phone line connected to subscribe to standard programing.

With DirecTV, it's required for subscribing to the sports packages.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
The primary purpose for the phone line connection is to let the receiver send Dish your PPV purchases, for billing. It also confirms your geographical location for network programing.
It is my understanding that Dish does not need to be used with the phone line to confirm geographical locations. I understand that only DirecTV does this.

-- Robert

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Robert,

You are right that "Dish does not need to be used with the phone line to confirm geographical locations", but if your phone line is connected, Dish will use it to verify where you are. It's just another way for them to keep track of you.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
The reason two DirecTV receivers must be on the same phone lines is to curtail this scam:

I buy two receivers and a top programming package. The second receiver only costs me $4.00. I give this receiver to my friend and he pays me $25.00 a month for a $60.00 package. When the receivers "call home" and caller ID is different, they gotcha. Certian business are exempt from caller ID blocking, 911, police, banks, and DBS companies are a few examples.

I guess this scam isn't costing Dish enough losses yet. Be assured at some point they will do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.