AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right section, but...

I currently have Dish Network with two TV's (two STB's) at my house.

Say I house sit at my parents on and off during the summer. (About 15 minutes away from here)

Can I technically buy a second dish online, self install, and take my second STB to their house when I'm over there?

Technical and or legal ramifications involved?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Yes it would work just fine. Dish as well as direct frowns upon this as they'd prefure to charge you for 2 locations.

so, yes it will work just fine. You can decide what to do.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm not sure if it is clear, you can do the self install but will have to activate that receiver and have the monthly charge for it.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
adb - He wants to take an already subbed receiver to use while he's at his parents vacation house, nothing to activate.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob8000 /forum/post/14239436

Technical and or legal ramifications involved?

Technical; No ramifications

Legal; Not really

Practical; Dish sometimes audits houses with multiple receivers when receivers do not call-in or call in from different phone numbers. It's a ploy to avoid "account stacking", i.e. two households sharing the same account. The auditors concentrate on houses with a high number of receivers.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Practically - if you install your own dish, and don't hookup the phone connection at your parent's place, and haul your own activated receiver back and forth, Dish will probably be none the wiser. What you are suggesting IS against the terms of subscription, but you can probably get away with it.

I would suggest using the same LNB setup at both locations to make it easier - just plug and play.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense.

Oddly when I had my service installed, the only made me connect my DVR set top box to the phone line. I was told I can leave the other unplugged. The non-connected unit would actually be the "portable" unit.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob8000 /forum/post/14239436

Not sure if this is the right section, but...

I currently have Dish Network with two TV's (two STB's) at my house.

Can I technically buy a second dish online, self install, and take my second STB to their house when I'm over there

No problem. My cousin did it for 2 years for his daughter in adjoining town.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I have a 722 and 2- 211's. One of the 211's have been at my parents house for over a year. They have no clue where it is at.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw /forum/post/14259355

I have a 722 and 2- 211's. One of the 211's have been at my parents house for over a year. They have no clue where it is at.

Is your 722 connected to a phone line? I have always wondered if a phone connected box can detect other boxes through the switch.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My ViP 222 was disconnected accidently from the phone line connection for about 2 weeks last month (wife doing some housecleaning). Never heard from E*.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a Google search on Dish Network at 2 locations and was directed to this forum so please forgive me if I am not up to speed on all of the tech talk.

I see that this post is old but I have the same question.

I have a vacation cabin about 125 miles away from my home and it has a Dish Network dish and receiver. I am paying about $40 per month for this service and really only use it about 2 weekends per month.

At my home I currently have CATV but I would like to switch to Dish at home and take a STB to my cabin so that I can have TV in both places.

Will this work? I am not trying to cheat anybody, just save some money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old Thread - New Issues ** HOPPER**

Can you subscribe to 2 Hppers w/o raising risk for audit? Drawbacks? Vaca home and regular home. One service. currently 2 722 and 2 slaves. No issues 4 yrs going and would hate to create one by switching to HOPPER

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankepeters  /t/1046768/dish-network-at-two-locations#post_22996286

To All.. YES, you can use at two locations, just don't use the phone line, and call in paperviews on your cellphone... a friend has been doing it for years w/ Vip two 222 & two 722's, and they split the bill. NEWSBEE... I have a friend who want to try the same thing your wondering about... use newer units... 2 hoppers at 2 locations.. w/ 8 joey's total. He's been doing it for 4 years like you with the older boxes (successfully), and is afraid that switching to the new units may cause a conflict (different wiring, or they could find out.. definately don't use the phone line)... PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU SUCCEED, AND IF HE SUCCEEDS, I'LL TRY TO DO THE SAME and let you know.

You're doing EXACTLY what is against the terms of service - sharing one subscription between 2 households at the same time. You could move receivers from one household to another , as long as both were not receiving service at the same time.

Good luck if you ever get audited. If you do, and can't pass -only 1 of the 4 receivers will still be active.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two receivers that will work two tv's at a time. We have a weekend spot that we would like to take one of our receivers to on the weekends. How would I go about getting another dish to put up at the weekend spot and how to aim it? I've aimed the old satellites before, are the new one's similar?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis0169  /t/1046768/dish-network-at-two-locations#post_23008770

I have two receivers that will work two tv's at a time. We have a weekend spot that we would like to take one of our receivers to on the weekends. How would I go about getting another dish to put up at the weekend spot and how to aim it? I've aimed the old satellites before, are the new one's similar?

davis0169 I wanted to touch bases with you to see if you were able to get that installed. If so, were you able to get the dish pointed and everything is working correctly? Please PM me if you have any questions and I am happy to help!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts