AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a few online retailers, DISH NETWORK is not allowing the $9 promos with the discounted receivers that do not have professional installation. Just look at the prices. They have all jumped by $100+ and EXCLUDE the promo.

What the hell is DISH doing?! Are they trying to sabotage their own growth? At the current pricing without the $9 promo, I am not going to be able to get a Dish system.

My father beat the clock by one day!! Damn lucky.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I was about to go get the D* but guess I will keep my DirectTV. It's amazing what you can get if you talk directly to Dish Or DirectTV; they both want your business and the initial cost is peanuts compared to their position in five years.

Lou

------------------

Lou Daboll

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADent:
but Dish is trying to stop dealers from giving the customer any part of the install subsidy for self-installs.
Well that blows. If I do the work myself, I should get a chunk of the subsidy. Why should Dish care who they pay as long as they get another customer?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who knows? It makes no sense. This will cost them subscribers because right now, I am out of the picture. I am not paying a hundred more than others paid just a day ago for the same **** . And professional installers in CT do not exist. There is some kind of DISH problem with installs in CT. Only Sears does it.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
After researching this I am pretty sure I am going locally. I can have a Dish 6023 installed for $550 from a local guy plus he'll sell me an addition reciever, installed and hooked into my pre-wired distribution system at his cost.

It potentially is going to cost me an extra $150 over what the previous self-install deals were (less shipping of $20-$50, but plus tax) which is not that much. Plus I have a local person to work with if something goes wrong.

It has been tough figuring out how the deals were so good, but too good is too good for a reason.

I don't think this will hurt Dish business. If the extra $150 is keeping you from superior HDTV, you probably aren't that interested in it. On the other hand, what really is hurting Dish is their ignorant phone-sales people. I called to get clarification on these packages and the guy on the phone told me the 501 (with Tivo) would get HDTV... After that incorrect answer I hung up.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
For better or worse, the reason Dish prefers free professional installation as opposed to do it yourselfer's I think is because their research over the years show that the pro install customers have a lower disconnect rate. Remember, a new customer doesnt mean a real profit until well down the line because of the discounted hardware to begin with.

It doesnt really hold true for 6000 systems because even with the deals they're not exactly giving them away. But for the lower end systems that are so cheap they figure that someone that installed it themselves is more likely to just say the heck with it if something goes wrong if he cant fix it himself as opposed to having to pay a guy to get him up and running again.

------------------

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.