AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain how the satellite elevation angles are derived? I've looked at one of the dishes and saw that 20 degrees was the lowest setting. But at this setting, the dish was pointing horizontally (maybe even down a bit). I expected 20 degrees to point into the sky. Are they using a different frame of reference?

In any case, looks like the 61.5 is virtually impossible to reach in California since the dish is always pointed < 20 or into the ground.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The signal actually comes in high on the dish and bounces down into the LNBF. The elvation numbers marked on the dish assembly account for this. As an example let's assume that you can pick up these sat signals with the tip of a yardstick. If you place that yardstick at a 20 degree angle to the ground it will be pointing right at the satellite location in space. Most dishes go to 10 degrees.
Here is an example at the webpage of a sat dealer in the Detroit area. Look about a page or 2 down.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lee,

Thanks for the info. That clears it up. It also means that I have a shot at the 61.5 Dish satellite after all.

;-)

There is a building across the street from me which is easily cleared by a 10 degree angle relative to ground. I was afraid I would have no chance at the signal because the dish looked like it was pointed right into the building. I stil have a small problem in that my area requires a 19 degree elevation and the assembly at the back of the dish only goes down to 20. I suppose I can force it beyond the edge a little bit. I could also compensate by installing the mast at an engle but I would prefer to keep it plum to make dish finding easier.

·
Registered
730 Posts
And just so you understand this completely, there is a good reason they do this . . . by making the angle skew, it makes the dish more vertical. This is good because it prevents rain puddles in the dish or snow build-up. Get it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.