AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have dish network but they do not have 3d and espn3D NBA basket ball is on direct tv. Should I wait to switch to direct tv for ESPn 3D

Should I wait to see what dishnetwork is going to do before I switch

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinne38 /forum/post/19644624

I have dish network but they do not have 3d and espn3D NBA basket ball is on direct tv. Should I wait to switch to direct tv for ESPn 3D

Same situation here. Currently Dish only has one crappy VOD 3D movie available ONLY on the buggy 922. Supposedly that will also be available s o o n on the 722K--NOT the 722 or 622. From the Charlie Chat last night I don't look for much or any other 3D from them for maybe another YEAR, when according to Charlie glasses-free 3D will be mainstream......
. Also--Dish ain't getting along with Disney which owns espn. I've been with 'em about 13 years and seriously thinking of jumping ship as well.

Ed

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I like Direct TV a lot better overall.... Only a few limited experiences with the 3D, but I hope to change that soon. What I have viewed seemed decently impressive, NOT Bluray impressive though for sure.

I expect to screen a lot more offerings in 2011 from them. I barely have 3D working in my theater as it is via an HTPC, my HDTV capture card is wonky at best and won't work at all at worst. That's the reason for the limited screenings from Direct TV so far.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19646432

I like Direct TV a lot better overall.... Only a few limited experiences with the 3D, but I hope to change that soon. What I have viewed seemed decently impressive, NOT Bluray impressive though for sure.

I expect to screen a lot more offerings in 2011 from them. I barely have 3D working in my theater as it is via an HTPC, my HDTV capture card is wonky at best and won't work at all at worst. That's the reason for the limited screenings from Direct TV so far.

Thanks for the reply anyway John, appreciate it. Overall I'm pretty happy with Dish except for the lack of 3D........

Ed

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Personally, if it means taking more bits away from the other channels, I'm against it.

My Dish channels just took yet another nosedive in PQ about a month and a half ago, when they added over 60 PBS-HD channels to their satellites. I can't take any more.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19646114

I jumped ship. Direct TV has decent 3D content now.

I've been a Dish Network guy (722) for a while........ enjoy the HD and the DVR. (We had DirecTV back in the DirecTIVO days and hated to leave TIVO, but the Dish DVR is really good).

So now that you're on the DirecTV side, any feedback? How the guide (reaction speed, etc) and DVR functionality? I'd heard ever since DirecTV dumped TIVO that their DVR sucked.....

I hate to dump Dish just for a couple of 3D channels, but I figure I'd have to pay to upgrade to the 922 to get 1080p/3D and it doesn't look like they will be expanding 3D content like DirecTV will. (due to other things like someone else posted about them not getting along w/Disney who owns ESPN, etc).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike W.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/19647661

Personally, if it means taking more bits away from the other channels, I'm against it.

My Dish channels just took yet another nosedive in PQ about a month and a half ago, when they added over 60 PBS-HD channels to their satellites. I can't take any more.

I hear where you're coming from, but if they adopt the same standard for transmission as DirecTV (side-by-side 1080p) then it won't take any more bandwidth than any other channel.

The other way would be to do like 3DBD, and encode the right channel as a delta of the left....... results in only about 40% more bandwidth for high-quality (not 1/2 rez like side-by-side) stereo.

IMHO, these providers are too concerned with pushing "We carry 250+ channels" marketing crap...... seriously...... I'd rather them dump the 100+ channels that likely no one watches so they could provide more HD and 3D HD content.

Mike W.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinne38 /forum/post/19644624

No. Dish has shown no inclination to do any broadcast 3D.

Having said that, who knows if or when they will add it?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ESPN and Dish are still engaged in a lawsuit after Dish acused them of not honoring their last carriage agreement. Look for that to be settled before ESPN 3D gets added.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw /forum/post/19879733

ESPN and Dish are still engaged in a lawsuit after Dish acused them of not honoring their last carriage agreement. Look for that to be settled before ESPN 3D gets added.

Yes. We have small ones, and recorded quite a few shows off of Disney HD, which is gone now as part of this dispute. It'd be cool to have ESPN 3D as I might actually watch some ESPN then..... LOL

But Dish is offering 3D PPV/VoD. It's sketchy the details of the resolution, format, etc. Personally, I think it'll be a while before there enough demand/content to drive one or more 3D channels. I don't take it as a negative thing for 3D...... just a realistic view of time for adoption.

Mike W.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 /forum/post/19882955

Their 3D is 1080/24p (at least Last Airbender and Step Up were).

lmz00: So, the movies you mentioned werew [email protected] Is that a side-by-side format? What format was Dish using to get the content to you? I'd be cool if they didn't cheap out and did a frame-packed [email protected] (double-bandwidth but full resolution for the L and R in each frame). My guess is they do a left/right like ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 /forum/post/0

I'm sure it's up to the channel, not the cable/satellite provider.

That would make total sense. =)

Mike W.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/19878663

No. Dish has shown no inclination to do any broadcast 3D.

Having said that, who knows if or when they will add it?

Yep, I really like Dish's equipment (have a 622 & 722) but after 12+ years I'll be jumping ship if they haven't done anything by the time the snow melts off my roof in March. I don't need or want to pay $200 upfront and $4 more @ month for a 922 just to be able to rent a 3D VOD for $7.99.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps /forum/post/19893804

Yep, I really like Dish's equipment (have a 622 & 722) but after 12+ years I'll be jumping ship if they haven't done anything by the time the snow melts off my roof in March. I don't need or want to pay $200 upfront and $4 more @ month for a 922 just to be able to rent a 3D VOD for $7.99.

Ed

Good point..... Personally, I'm not in such a rush to have 3D that I feel compelled to change to DirecTV from Dish. It took over a decade for HD to get to where it is now, so I'm not worried if Dish doesn't start carrying the only (few?) 3D channels out there immediately.

Plus, and I could be wrong, but from the reading I've done, I still don't think DirecTV's DVR interface has caught up....... the DVR in the 922 is better than what I have in the 722, and the DirecTV DVR/Guide interface is just clunky and not as good. I took a chance on the 722 when I left TIVO (a DirecTIVO actually) knowing TIVO was overall the best DVR interface....... the 722 is different with some small disappointments, but overall is very good......

Mike W.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.