AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but these threads have gotten pretty long and searching doesn't always narrow it down.

Does anyone know who makes the TVs that Dish is offering with their HD deal, and how does this deal work with existing Dish Network subscribers. As usual, the Dish site is less than helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
RCA. Visit the dbstalk forums for more info (there's more E* folks over there...)

Brian

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes, these are RCA units with the Dishnet logo on it....I bought 2 of the 40" TV`s sight unseen cause the price was good, but i`m more than a little disappointed, the picture is blurry in the corners and they don't have multi point convergence :rolleyes: so its not even possible to completely align these TV`s...I`m gonna try and sell these TV`s in the local newspaper, and i ordered 2 of the 34" tube TV`s in hopes that they will be better, but at this point i`m not all that confident.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The 34"'ers seemed to get much better reviews than the 40". Most likely 1 gun as opposed to 3 so there's no out-of-the-box convergence issues.

Brian

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thats good to hear..where did you read the reviews? I just went to link you gave ,and did a quick run through ,but didn`t see any reviews for the newer product....I will probably (if happy with picture) use one of TV`s for our bedroom and one for living room, and when something good is on, i will probably buy a 57" Hitachi Ultravision and have it and my front projector down in my basement/sportsbar and view the good stuff downstairs.....The 40" RCA units don`t look real bad with HD material, but when i have the program guide grid on, the lettering is so blurry and very un=uniform, and especially blurry in the corners as i said earlier..As far as the 811 HD receivers that comes in the package, it has some quirks..I have had to unplug it couple times, as a matter of fact tonight, as the picture was going in slow motion, never seen that one before. Also, i get zero sound sometimes when i switch to my local digital channels, and i have to channel up and back down and sound will come in, but tonight it wouldn`t come back in at all, so there are some definite quirks that my 6000u did not have, but the 6000u fan noise drove me batty, so i guess you get rid of one problem and gain another:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I found a link somewhere in the dbs forums to some other forum where folks seemed to be happier w/the 34". The poor text is symptomatic of misconvergence, it can be pretty close and you won't notice it on moving images, but give it something still (and white) like the text and it will show right up.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stickyfingers
The 34"'ers seemed to get much better reviews than the 40". Most likely 1 gun as opposed to 3 so there's no out-of-the-box convergence issues.

Brian
Umm - both have 3 "guns".

But the 40" is a RPTV with 3 separate B&W CRTs, whereas the 34" is a direct view CRT with the 3 guns hitting colored phosphor triads.

·
Registered
925 Posts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Umm - both have 3 "guns".

But the 40" is a RPTV with 3 separate B&W CRTs, whereas the 34" is a direct view CRT with the 3 guns hitting colored phosphor triads.

Wow, i was thinking real hard about this statement, but finally the bell rang, it must be time for bed:D ...... I`ll try and find those links stickyfingers, as i have tried real hard without success to get some reviews, although it doesn`t really matter, as i sent out my money for 2 unit`s today, so i will have my own review by this time next week.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I sure hope these 34"er`s are a Quantum leap forward, as i sure have some big money tied into these 4 unit`s...I guess i had to roll the bones and see what improvements these strange devices may have over the RPTV`s, and hopefully i`m not full of middletown dreams, Hopefully the picture on 34"er`s will be as night and day as the opening of a power window:D

·
Registered
925 Posts
I hooked up 34" TV Thursday and picture is very nice..If i had to do over, i would have bought 4 of these instead of 2 each..I highly recommend this TV.

For the price and the picture it delivers, it is a very good buy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am expecting my 34" and 811 next wed. I am wondering if you have tried to connect your STB to the HDTV via DVI? How does it compare to component connection? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.