AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting Disn Network's HDTV package has been a waste. I first got an 811 receiver 3 weeks ago which did not even power up. The second receiver has a software issue which causes it to need to be re-booted each time i power it on. Not to mention that with the DVI cable in use my Sony 46" widescreen cannot use its internal line doubler to improve the SD channels. I need to switch over to S-video when not watching my 5 HD channels.

I previously used a SD DVR with S-video going through a Iscan plus. This gave me very good results on all channels. while HD channels are fantastic, I wish i had not made the change. Course DN has been useless. 15 calls and no replies to my last e-mail.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
3 more calls last night. My second 811 is losng the picture to an all white screen. i have a third 811 on the way.

I am going to get another Iscan. Dish needs to get their act together. Outside of my 5 HD channels, the rest looks like garbage!

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
This is a little off base, Dish is the best out there, I have over 15 HDTV channels and they are all great, most of your issues do not have anything to do with HDTV

the DVI spec/connection cannot pass 480i at all, which your tv would need to be able to line double

This is also not Dish's fault

all outputs are active and standard satellite is a composite signal, so you need to try composite out of the receiver to use the much better comb filters in todays HDTV's(much better than what is inside the Dish Receivers) to make Dish the best possible

-Gary

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell
This is a little off base, Dish is the best out there, I have over 15 HDTV channels and they are all great...
Really? How much does Dish Network compress the HDTV sources?

Any artifacts like macroblocks, mosquito noise and color banding?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary,

I was not talking about the HD channels! Read my post.

The problem is DN's customer service and the remanufactured HDTV receivers I keep receiving. That is not a good way to get people to make the switch. I have my 3rd 811 on its way. Dish is the best out there but that is not saying much when we are talking HD. Problem is I don't have much of a choice at this point. I felt I had fantastic service with my 502 DVR and all SD channels.

Also, I have the S-video hooked up and use the Sony's internal line doubler for standard def. channels. Point being that HD is still too gimicky if I need to switch tv inputs between HD and SD channels. With 15 channels I assume you must have the Voom package?

I had better overall results using an Iscan to upconvert every channel to 480p.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Quote:
This is a little off base, Dish is the best out there, I have over 15 HDTV channels and they are all great, most of your issues do not have anything to do with HDTV

-Gary
I agree. I have had Dish HDTV for over 5 years and it is great. I actually counted 22 HDTV channels from Dish including the HD Pak, Voom, HBO, SHO, PPV, Demo, and misc channels.

Rick R

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
all outputs are active and standard satellite is a composite signal, so you need to try composite out of the receiver to use the much better comb filters in todays HDTV's(much better than what is inside the Dish Receivers) to make Dish the best possible
Uh ... don't think so. Both DBS providers transmit in digital/component MPEG format. Thus any composite/analog source would have already been put through the comb/separation process long before it reaches your STB. You are needlessly recombining and separating the Y and C ... Granted this may have a net effect of filtering the resolution (and thus some noise) ... kind of like turning the treble control all the way down to get rid of tape hiss ;)

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant
Dish Network HDTV a joke!!!

Getting Disn Network's HDTV package has been a waste.

And

Gary,

I was not talking about the HD channels! Read my post.
You have a contradiction of statements. Would you like to clarify?

Perhaps you should get the moderators to delete this thread and you could start over. With the thread title and opening statement that you posted pretty much guaranties you will catch some flack. If you just want to vent then you should make it clear what your intentions are.

I and many others have the Dish 811 and are quite happy with it. Click this AVS Forum Post to see my associated hardware.

·
Registered
22,262 Posts
Maybe the IScan and/or the cables are bad. Try just using the 811 as intended. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know if there are many people who experience this kind of problem with the hardware, so I hope it is not a common one, but a major one for you any anyone else who has it. I can only speak to my experience. So far, with a DISH 942 HDDVR , things have been just great, excellent PQ from the HDMI/DVI connection on HD and SD. So my experience has produced smiles, but not because DISH HD is a joke, but because it delivers.

·
Registered
635 Posts
How soon does DN plan on getting on the coal train and landing some local HD channels?

Anytime soon?

Until then, D* will stand taller.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
IMHO, E*'s HD programming is good, it's their HD STB's that leave much to be desired, if they could just fix that they'd have a winning product.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me clarify!

I am not complaining about the 5 HD channels themselves. I am complaining about the 811. I also am disgusted that using the DVI connection to HDMI on my tv, SD looks like crap. When I used the Iscan, every channel looked good. I sacrificed having all my channels look very good to get 5 fantastic channels.

I am complaining that I have received two defective (remanufactured) 811 receivers. I have been a long-time DN customer. There isn't anything any better out there. I expect though to get treated better by Dish.

Would not any of you be disgusted having had my recent experience?

Ratman- All cables are fine and the 811 was used as intended. The Iscan was used with my SD DVR not the 811...

Wendell- Again, reading my intial rant should indicate that it is not the channels themselves but hardware, customer service, and the lack of a full selection of channels in HD.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Well, I hope the 811 problems are not widespread. My wife and I have just about decided to get Dish again using the 811 receiver. We had Dish from '96 through 2000 but got rid of it because our OTA channels looked better than the SD Dish channels on our analog 46" RPTV. And we just weren't watching much TV. We still don't, we prefer films (DVDs). But with two HDTVs in the house we want to try again. (We live far from cable)

Do they still have a UHF capable receiver/remote? Are the SD channels still so compressed that fields of grass more closely resemble a carpet?

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano
Well, I hope the 811 problems are not widespread. My wife and I have just about decided to get Dish again using the 811 receiver. We had Dish from '96 through 2000 but got rid of it because our OTA channels looked better than the SD Dish channels on our analog 46" RPTV. And we just weren't watching much TV. We still don't, we prefer films (DVDs). But with two HDTVs in the house we want to try again. (We live far from cable)

Do they still have a UHF capable receiver/remote? Are the SD channels still so compressed that fields of grass more closely resemble a carpet?
All of their advanced boxes have UHF remotes. We had the 811 reboot issues from time to time when I was with E*, but we switched to Comcast 7 months ago, apparently this issue still exists. Reports on the 942 seemed much better.

The only way for me to go back to E* is when they start offering the 942 lease without the "$250 upgrade fee" and when the VOOM channels are added to the 148 satellite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.