AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about Dish Network's hardware. Is the model 6000 the only STB that you can use to watch HDTV programming on Dish Network? Also, since you have to have two satellite dishes to receive HDTV programming and standard programming, is there ports for both satellites and an OTA antenna (for HDTV and analog use)?

Thank you in advance.

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yes the 6000 is the only E* HD IRD. There is also the 5000 but youd need an expensive adapter and plus the 5000 isnt made anymore. To hook up 2 dishs youl need multiswitches to combine the signals resulting in 1 run of coax from multiswitches to IRD. The 6000 as two RF inputs, one from dish and another for antenna.

Steve

·
Registered
351 Posts
remember, you need the 8vsb adapter module to get OTA broadcasts (without it there will be no antenna input).

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The Dish 6023 package has the receiver, two dishes, and switches required. The switches combine all of the dishes inputs. All you will want to add is the 8vsb module, which has the antenna input.

JVC has a 6000 receiver also that is really just the Dish 6000 receiver with a JVC label.

Rick R

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Not exactly CblGuy, unless you plan on having more than 1 6000 receiver as the 8VSB module only works with the 6000 and no other lower end receivers.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you have 4 TVs in your house and you want to get a satellite receiver box for each one, then you need to add a different switch. You need to add a switch 64 and change the dish to a dual LNB. The Dish 6023 package comes with satellite outputs for only two satellite receiver boxes. The 3 non HD TVs will require non HD satellite receiver boxes that are cheap.

If you want your other 3 TVs to only receive over the air channels, ignore the above.

Rick R

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
That is reasurring (my other three televisions are not HDTV so I don't need the 8VSB).
The 6000 can also output a downconverted signal via S-video or Composite outputs, so you can use it on a regular TV. If your set has just an RF coax input, you can get a convertor box at Radio Shack to view it on your TV.

The image quality from an OTA digital channel is stunning. The downconverted HD programming is DVD quality. Some people rag on the 6000's ability to tune in an Analog OTA signal, but (thankfully) I only have WB to tune in on Analog and it looks pretty darned good, better than any cable channel I have ever seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.