Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new at this so please be nice :)

I'm thinking about signing up for DSS. Right now I'm leaning towards Dish Network. Here's what I don't understand. If I buy dish network system 6023. It comes with a Echostar 6000 receiver/HDTV decoder, and two dishes. One dish is for standard satellite stations and the other dish is used for International programming and any HD channels they offer. They offer an optional cartridge, 8 VSB, that allows for over the air signals to be processed. Does anyone know if I will still need an antena do receive over the air HD signals or does the 2nd dish act an antenna?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
OTA broadcasts require an antenna for which the Dish 6000 has a coax plug-in. What type of antenna depends on many factors, including how far you are from your local stations' antennas whether they are broadcasting in low or full power modes.

There are antennas that attach to a Dish, but it all depends on how close you are to the transmitters as to whether one of these would be an option. If you're really close, rabbit ears might be all you need.

Dennis

·
Registered
740 Posts
Shew:

Welcome to the forum. You have found the information kiosk for HT. Folks here are very knowledgible and very helpful. You may have several questions that may have been answered before, hence I suggest that you do a search for that topic before posting. Some people here tend to get annoyed at repeat posts. Most like me remember that we were newbies once :)

To your question. You DO need an additional antenna and the 8VSB module to recieve and display local OTA digital channels. Many have found that the radio shack double bow tie antenna works for them. do a search on radio shack, or DBT or bow tie and you'll see the discusiions. Especially interesting is this thread . If you have the ability to mount antenna outside, people suggest the Channel master 4228 for ultimate reliability.

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.