AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am not sure if I am in the correct forum or not, but I am going to shoot! I am sure someone will let me know! :)

Long story short, but I was a longtime Dish customer (8 years), disconnected, moved around town, and now am wanting to connect again. I had my own dish but got rid of it as I "thought" I was going to stay with Time Warner, but ther service is terrible, so now I am stuck.

I have had DTV over to my apartment and the tech said that he needed a direct line of sight, due south, and since there was an overhang, he couldn't install it.

Next option, switch to Dish; Dish tech came over and told me that the line of sight was good, but since there were new apartment guidelines due to a recent lawsuit, he couldn't install it. Now I don't have any problems installing these things as original install in Denver was done by myself, and another one in KC as well.

The problem lies in that I don't have my equipment anymore - dish and receiver!! When I disconnected, Dish, with their infinite wisdom, told me to return the receivers - one I owned, the other, they did (Dish 811).

I need a new "Dish 500" dish and a new receiver, but can't get this if I call Dish due to the above explanation.

Thanks!

Bill "Stumped!"

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Look up OTARD online, there hasn't been any recent lawsuits that impact it. It's the FCC act that allows you to install a dish in certain areas around your apartment and has been in place since 96.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! :)

The tech said the lawsuit was about an apartment catching fire due to lightning and an improper ground.

I am familiar with the act in 1996. My apartment in Denver told me to take down my dish, and I told them where to go as I slapped down the entire printed FCC act!! Needless to say, I didn't get any complaints from them!

But I still don't know about my issue with equipment!

That brings me to the next concern...grounding. I have installed it and not grounded it and had no problems. Any ideas?

Bill

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Quote:
I need a new "Dish 500" dish and a new receiver, but can't get this if I call Dish due to the above explanation.
Try Ebay !

Get Receiver & Dish, install it and call up Dishnetwork and Activate it. Just make sure that the Receiver you get off Ebay is Free & Clear of any Balance (and not a Leased one) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought of that and will probably go that route.

With the new 942, do I need two dishes or can I go with the Dish 1000 antenna? Or should I not use this one and use the old style?

Bill

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Can't help you there?

Try HERE !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.