AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had DirecTV and moved this summer and decided to go with Dish Network because of their great promos. Now that I have ordered the Panny AE-300 projector, I really started to investigate HDTV options with Dish. Basically I can get the Dish 6000 receiver and add another dish which will cost appx $850. I e-mailed Dish to let them know that options are much better on DirecTV as several manufacturers sell receivers and I would only need one dish. Their reply was, you can purchase the 6000 receiver and tuner card from a local retailer for $699 + $148.

Now, I'm pissed. Very seriously considering taking my Dish service to the bare minimum and paying my bill until my contract is up. I can get DirecTV now and not even use the Dish service. Should only cost me $23/mo through July, about $160. My current bill is $83/month.

Anyone else in the same boat? Wondering if anyone has had any luck getting anywhere with Dish or I should just give up.

Thanks, Donnie

·
Registered
399 Posts
I currently have neither of the Sat systems, but am looking at both. One potential problem with DirectTV is that (according to HDTV programming section) they have very limited abiliy to expand their HD channels, they only have transponder space to add one or two max. They also are limited in their abilty to change their modulation scheme, which again limits their abiltiy to expand HD. Dish on the other hand has transponder space and is migrating to 8PSK which will make more efficient use of the space. With D* you can get some new generation stb's at current $ or get something like Hughes E86 for a reduced price (~$450 ). With Dish you are stuck with the 6K at the price you stated or wait for the 921 or JVC 9K or Dish 211. One good option with Dish (but it may be a year away) is get a 211 (rumored to be $299) with 1394 output only, get a Samsung 165 which will get OTA and convert the 1394 to DVI, the combined cost may be just as much as other boxes but it gives you the option of getting a D-VHS for recording and D-Theater. THe other Dish stb's are rumored to be at or above $1k.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you already have Dish, then you have their dish 500 already. What you need is to add the 6000 at $499, extra dish 300 & sw21 at $99, and OTA module at $149. Total $747 but it will require you to install your dish 300 & sw21 yourself (easy I did it). These prices are available on dishdepot.com. Make sure you get a 6000 with the 8PSK already installed.

If you do not have the dish 500 with a twin LNB or need more than 2 satellite receivers then other considerations may apply.

If you do not already have Dish, then the price is 6023 system at $699 plus OTA module at $149 totaling $848. Then you get free installation plus $200 rebated over the first year.

Rick R

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlclark
I had DirecTV and moved this summer and decided to go with Dish Network because of their great promos. Now that I have ordered the Panny AE-300 projector, I really started to investigate HDTV options with Dish. Basically I can get the Dish 6000 receiver and add another dish which will cost appx $850. I e-mailed Dish to let them know that options are much better on DirecTV as several manufacturers sell receivers and I would only need one dish. Their reply was, you can purchase the 6000 receiver and tuner card from a local retailer for $699 + $148.

Now, I'm pissed.
I have no idea of what you are "pissed" about, but given that you're "pissed", if I were you I'd immediately switch to DirecTV. Me? Well, I have Dish and love it. I have the 6000. It's got some faults, but it gets the job done fairly well. And Dish will have an HD PVR next year. But you should relieve your "pissed" state of mind by switching to DirecTV. You'll feel better, I would assume.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Matt and Rick. Jerry, maybe you can find something more useful to do with your time.

Dish called tonight and offered a free 2nd dish, worth $100, for the HDTV satellite. The bad thing is, they wanted another year commitment with America's Everything Pack which is $72.99. My lease was with two receivers and he also said I must keep the two receivers and add the 3rd even though I only have two tv's!? With three receivers, my bill would be $87.99/month for a year.

I guess my point is that Dish doesn't care about customer service. DirecTV customers are getting hundreds of dollars in programming credit to upgrade to HDTV. I would like to keep Dish but I'm not going to invest approximately $1800 for hardware and programming for a year.

Donnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.