AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post to the forum and I've found it to be very helpful.

I just got my new HDTV installed (Toshiba 46H84). DVDs look amazing but my Dish Network reception is sub par. I have a non-HD receiver, in fact, I believe it is their bottom of the line receiver (Dish 301). I've connected the sat receiver directly to the TV using an S-Video cable but the picture is very blurry and distorted. Would reception be improved by upgradeing the receiver to a newer model? Would a HD receiver improve the quality of non-HD sat channels compared to my 301?

I'm considering going to DirecTV. I can get a 2 room setup (one HD one SD receiver) for $299 with free install.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
The HD box won't make the SD (Non-HD) channels look any better.

DirectTV and Dish's SD channels will look the same.

But, the HDTV channels will look great, and the Over the Air Digtial channels will look very good, even when they carry just SD programming.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
J45,

The SD channels on Dish and DirecTV start to degrade in PQ quickly as you move beyond 32 inches, regardless of the TV. You're blowing up picture artifacts and defects that may not be very obvious on smaller screens, but can become quite distracting on larger screens.

As the others have said, watch the local HD channels (over-the-air with an antenna) and you'll be far more satisfied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.