AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is Dish Network's deal with self-installation? The new promos all require "professional installation" . . . why? I was going to install a system for a friend, but it doesn't seem worth it any more?

Has anyone done a self-install and gotten the "I like 9" promotion? (I've heard rumors that you can call in, say you are pro installer and just say that it is the "RNINE" code promotion.)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why? I got the $9 service and free install by a pro. (They get $150 from Dish).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by webmarin:
Why? I got the $9 service and free install by a pro. (They get $150 from Dish).
Why do I want to self-install? To pocket the $150 and do a better job than the "pro". I almost had a heart attack when a "pro" came to my house and pulled out a huge drill bit to drill through my freshly resurfaced hardwood floor because "they don't do cable pulling".

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Around my neighborhood the "professional installations" I've seen are really ugly. The coax gets run both horizontally and vertically from the dish on the outside of the house, then goes through a plastic bushing in a hole drilled through insulation, siding, vapor barrier, etc. Then inside the house the telephone cable is run on the surface of the drywall (including up and over the ceiling in one hallway I saw). For a two-receiver setup the coax itself is run on the wallboard to the second TV.

If I was forced to buy a "professional install" I would first have the survey done, then run the telephone and coax through the crawlspace or attic, and have the runs terminated on wallplates right behind the equipment. But you do not get that for your $50.

Gary

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just professionaly installed a DISH 6023 system myself http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . Called and activated the "I like 9" promo with no problems or questions concerning the install. The only thing they asked was ..Is your signal str over 80.

------------------

Hitachi 53UWX10B

DISH 6000

Harman Kardon Surround

Pioneer DVD

Kenwood DTS receiver

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YoYo:
I just professionaly installed a DISH 6023 system myself http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . Called and activated the "I like 9" promo with no problems or questions concerning the install. The only thing they asked was ..Is your signal str over 80.
Could you define "just" please...thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2 weeks

Guess I should not have said "JUST"

They did ask my if I was the installer or the customer. I told them I was the customer calling to activate the RNINE promo and my system WAS professionally installed. They did not ask me if it was professionally installed I just told them it was(Not sure why I did..I think I was just paranoid).

The CSR seemed like he could care less who installed it.

------------------

Hitachi 53UWX10B

DISH 6000

Harman Kardon Surround

Pioneer DVD

Kenwood DTS receiver

[This message has been edited by YoYo (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got mine a month ago before they started requiring it. I'm sure they won't deny service if it wasn't prof installed. The problem is that most sites now upped their prices to include the install. I got my 6023 for $399 and now it's listed for $450 with install.

Brian

·
Registered
632 Posts
You definitely do not need to have a professional installation to get the I like $9 deal.

The question is do you have to pay for a pro installation.

(Actually doesn't it just require your to pay $199 for your receiver?)

Places that sell a 3922 system for free online are hurting the traditional retailers. They do that by pocketing the installation fees that dish gives them and throwing in a few dollar self install kit. So dish is 'requiring' an installation be paid for to curb the online retailers.

Not sure what happens if you pick up one of those Free systems and say you had it installed by a pro - wouldn't the online retailer claim it was installed? Also the one online retailer several people around here work with activate the unit before it ships (for better service [sure] and to make sure it really is activated).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by YoYo:
They did ask my if I was the installer or the customer. I told them I was the customer calling to activate the RNINE promo and my system WAS professionally installed.
Hmm . . . I think ADENT is right . . . the question is "Do you have to pay for the installation?" and the answer seems to be yes. What I'm wondering is, if YoYo had said he was the installer, would he have received a "kickback" check for $150? Or do you have to be on some authorized Dish Network installer list. Ideally, I'd like to do the install myself (as a favor for my friend) and have the $150 install kickback go to my friend. But this doesn't seem possible.

This sucks! Dish Network is screwing Do-It-Yourselfer's to pay for a "pro" install where they come and make your house look like crap by strapping coax to the side of the house. If you are obsessive (or cheap ;-) ) and want to do the job yourself, Dish Network won't pay out the $150 to the DIYer! I think this will hurt them a little because all future DN installations will be ugly quick & dirty "pro" installs!!! GRRRrrr!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I ordered my 6022 system with a self-install kit from allsat at the beginning of last week, received it, installed it, and activated the service Friday night. I got the I like 9 promotion, no problem.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mchurchm:
I ordered my 6022 system with a self-install kit from allsat at the beginning of last week, received it, installed it, and activated the service Friday night. I got the I like 9 promotion, no problem.
Cool . . . I think you found the loophole! :) Allsat still has the cheap prices. It seems you could buy one from them and then do the call that YoYo did http://www.allsat.com/

I don't think this is supposed to work, but aparently it does.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just took advantage of the PVR 501 deal. They said that they required a professional install. I told them that I had a second line already installed and that they should leave it with the doorman. To which I was told that this was acceptable. When the installer arrived he came to my apartment and wanted to install it. When I told him that if he wouldn't leave it with me I would cancel. He left it, I installed it, I'm happy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

John

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
Cool . . . I think you found the loophole! :) Allsat still has the cheap prices. It seems you could buy one from them and then do the call that YoYo did http://www.allsat.com/

I don't think this is supposed to work, but aparently it does.
I also recommend Allsat.com

As long as the install is done correctly and according the DISH instructions and code it is professionally installed.

This is what I have been told by more than one web retailer.

RIGHT?

i could be totally wrong though HAHAH

Good luck!

anyone else in the WORLD have a Hitachi UWX series? I cannot find any owner comments, reviews or anythng about this set. I do love it though http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hitachi 53UWX10B

DISH 6000

Harman Kardon Surround

Pioneer DVD

Kenwood DTS receiver

[This message has been edited by YoYo (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
dagman wrote:

This sucks! Dish Network is screwing Do-It-Yourselfer's to pay for a "pro" install where they come and make your house look like crap by strapping coax to the side of the house. If you are obsessive (or cheap ;-) ) and want to do the job yourself, Dish Network won't pay out the $150 to the DIYer! I think this will hurt them a little because all future DN installations will be ugly quick & dirty "pro" installs!!! GRRRrrr!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

You would think so...but Dish doesnt think so. Dish seems to believe based on their research over the years, that dealer installed customers have a lower churn rate than DIY'ers.

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1:
Dish seems to believe based on their research over the years, that dealer installed customers have a lower churn rate than DIY'ers.
Well I wouldn't doubt that . . . they may be correlated, but they are not cause and effect. The type of people that do self-installs are more knowledgeable and more able to switch service. Thus, they probably have a higher churn rate but it is nothing to do with the fact of whether the installation was from a pro or not.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For the record, we dealers do not get $150 for the install from Dish Network. If you need to have wires fished, or a more cosmetic installation, you will pay an additional fee. Just as in any other business, there are those whose work is not up to par. Remember that if you want a custom installation, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1:

You would think so...but Dish doesnt think so. Dish seems to believe based on their research over the years, that dealer installed customers have a lower churn rate than DIY'ers.
It is not the pro installation or not, but how much money paid for thier system.

Self installed systems can be had for free, the same system with a Pro Install certificate is $159 more.

Someone that got the system for free is not that dedicated.

If they charged $1,000 the churn rate would be even lower.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Thats right ADent. I never made a conclusion about who actually does the installs better. But it still comes back to the same difference from Dish's perspective. They're in the business of selling programming long term. Thats where they make their money. Not on subsidizing the cost of the equipment at the rate of a few hundred dollars per new sub. Sure, new subscriber acqusition is critcal to begin with, but a new sub that bails "quickly" doesnt do them any good at all. Thats why it's a balancing act. So naturally, if they believe that however they set up their programs to retain customers longer, thats what they'd prefer to do. As long as they can still keep entry into a system reasonable for people.

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

[This message has been edited by DP1 (edited 09-27-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.