AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would, for me, along with one of those DVD recorders, be the ultimate! Has anyone heard any news on this project since the announcement of the merger? If this is true, it would secure my thinking to purchase for current HD program viewing a HD Dish Network receiver (instead of DirecTV) with hopes of upgrading to the new one when it comes out and not eating the total price of a HD receiver that would be pretty much obsolete already.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question. I thought the planned Dish921 may fit the requirement but wouldn't be out till later next year.

However there is no indication that DirecTV receivers will be out in favor of Dish hardware after the merger. It could go the other way. But from what Charlie is saying, everyone has to be upgraded to a new platform. He seemed to also say advanced receivers will be replaced at customers' expenses.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
The Dish 921 was the first solid (!?!) product announcement, but other companies have talked about the same thing.

Until last week, I would have said Dish would probably offer an all-in-one HDTV IRD w/OTA & PVR by the end of next year, and maybe sooner. Now, with the merger, all bets are off. It could happen sooner (unlikely), or be delayed until the new platform is chosen.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Assuming that the 921 is being OEMed from JVC, my guess is that we will see it in some form.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Mark at Dish Depot advises that the 921 is supposed to be at CES 2002, in just two months from now!!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Even if it does show up at CES, that's no guarantee it will make it to market. I've seen many devices at CES that never see the the light of day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.