AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently a cable subscriberI am planning on switching over to the dish network. The way my house is wired right now is one line from the outside, straight to the basement and then the signal is amplified and split six ways and one unamplified for my cable modem. Now I understand that if i subscribe to americas best 150 and a southeast asian package, i will need two dishes. Now, if there are two dishes, do two coax lines need to be run into the house or do they just merge them together and just bring one line into the house? Also, due to the way the house was wired up, if i get a dish, i am guessing i will have to cancel my cable modem service as well. any ideas?? any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It depends on the number of receivers and the other equipment. You will probably get a DishPro500 and a DishPro300 dish for all of the programming. A 500 has two connections and a 300 one. All three cables come into the house and your 6 way splitter will be replaced by a DishPro switch. If you decide to use 6 receivers, you will cascade two switches for a total of 8 outputs (2 won't be used). This is just a guess since you didn't post details about what you were planning.

As for the cable modem. I've read both success and failure stories about diplexing the signal onto a sat cable. I have my cable modem running on it's own coax, satellite has it's own cables and OTA HD has it's own cable.

-Robert

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. of the six coax lines that are sent up to the rooms, three of them use convertor boxes and the other three tv's just have the coax fed right into them for local channels. Do you think it would be possible for them to install this dishpro switch on the roof and just bring one coax into the house and then have it split six ways? Also what happens if you plug a sattelite fed signal directly into a tv without a convertor box?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No - you must use the dish switches.

If you plug the satellite cable into a TV - you'll get nothing. You must have the satellite receiver to get the DBS signals. It converts them from the high frequency satellite signals to signals that your TV can use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking, maybe i could use the current RG6 cable in the pipe outside the house and use it to snake another 4-5 coax lines down to the basement. Any reccomendations on what to use to tie it up securely? I was thinking zip ties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.