AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would greatly appreciate if those in the know can shed some light on some of my questions ...

1. If I subscribe to local channels thru DishNW and get the HD receiver, will I get to watch the Prime Time broadcasts in HD? I am in the SF Bayarea - if that helps!

2. Does the 6000U HD receiver, that Dish recommends, have DVI out?

3. Does it make sense, or is it even possible, to go with another HD receiver instead of what Dish recommends - sony/Samsung. I was told that getting the 6000U is an additional $699. Seems too pricey.

Your insights and experiences will be of great help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
1. The 6000 is currently shipping with the locals module that enables you to connect a UHF antenna to receive local Digital Channels including any HD local channels that you can receive in San Francisco. I beleive that Dish also broadcasts all the locals in the SF area in SD.

2. No

3. You cannot at this time use another receiver with Dish Network. There are two new receivers coming out soon that will be improvements on the 6000 (which is showing it's age) however, the 6000 is now available for $149 to $199 depending on which CSR you talk to. I'd jump on it fast at that price...

This would probably be better asked in the HDTV Hardware forum...

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
1) Like Robert Said, the Dish 6000 will tune in local HDTV channels through a normal antenna. HDTV channels take up too much space to have locals carried on the satellites. But you don't have to pay for them.

2) The Dish 6000 does not have DVI, But both of the new Dish HDTV receivers (the $399 811 and the $999 Model 921 DVR) both have DVI when they come out in November.

3) If you are a current Dish Subscriber, call them up and ask about the 6000 offer that you saw on the "Charlie Chat". They will look it up and offer it for either $199 or $149 depending on how long you have been a customer. If you don't get the offer, have them double check, not all CSRs can find the offer at first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just called Dish and got the $199 quote. Does anyone know what qualifies one for the $149 price?

The CSR don't seem to know... but I wouldn't expect them to.:)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm waiting for the 811/superdish combo (hopefully soon). I've heard a deal of $399 with installation. Does anyone know if that deal is for sure, or just a rumor? I would be a new E* subscriber, as I am currently trapped in D* NRTC Hell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate all of your input. This clarifies things!

I actually talked to the CSR at Dish yesterday and grilled him on the SD/HD for local channels thru the 2nd dish. He wasn't geared to understand the point I was raising let alone answer it!

Also, I heard that all the HD channels, that D-NW has programming for now, come thru the 2nd dish so you need the 2nd dish anyway.

Is this correct?

Is it worth it to wait for DVI out? Is the delta difference between the component and DVI siginificant enough to a) wait and b) plunk extra money for the HD receiver.

Once agian, thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiofile

I actually talked to the CSR at Dish yesterday and grilled him on the SD/HD for local channels thru the 2nd dish. He wasn't geared to understand the point I was raising let alone answer it!

I know the feeling. Every CSR has a different story.

Also, I heard that all the HD channels, that D-NW has programming for now, come thru the 2nd dish so you need the 2nd dish anyway.

Is this correct?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that ESPN HD, HDNet, and Discovery HD are available on Sat 110. The HD movie channels Dish offers are available on Sat 61.5, or 105?, thus requiring another Sat dish. Not positive on the sat positions, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
162 Posts
CBS HD, PPV HD, HBO HD and Showtime HD are on Sats 61.5 and 148. I got DishNet to give me the 6000U, 8VSB and second dish installed for $199. It took some time to make sure they got it all.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well, after days of pro/cons I decided to opt for a 6000u w/8vsb 8psk installed for 199. I told the csr that I could install it myself, but she scheduled the intall anyway. Whatever. The csr stated that the receiver would be on my doorstep by thursday and an installer would be out by noon on thursday to install it. I asked the csr twice if she was positive the 6000 would be at my house by thursday and she said yes. That seems to quick to be true, but I guess i'll find out thursday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.