AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving my DirecTV dish and upgrading it to get HD. Since my receivers will have to be repalced too, I'm basically starting over. By the time I buy a dish, 3 HD receivers and pay an installer, I will be out over $2k. So, I'd like to make the right decision. Over the next 5 years, which provider is probably going to have the most or best HD programming? Does anybody here have any ideas? (Locals are not an issue because I get great OTA reception).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Right now, it is down to HD Discovery Theater on Dish or HDnet on DTV. Who knows what five years will bring.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Wow, this has been asked about 5 times in the last 3 weeks!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Do you plan on timeshifting HDTV?

It looks like Dish will be first to market with an HDPVR that also allows timeshifting to DVHS.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are four new HD channels that are supposed to start broadcasting by April/May. The smartest thing would be to wait & see where these will show up.

Not that we all do the smartest thing; I just bought a tuner. :D

BB

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Carlton,

A lot of your decision will depend on your patience. If you are already buying an HD tuner you might want to at least consider the 169time sale price of $1399 (until Sunday) for a modified DTC100 and their AVX-1 product that would allow you to record HDNet, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and your OTA channels if you also get a D-VHS VCR. The software isn't perfect for HBO and SHO, but it works about 70% of the time for me and the rest of the time I just record the movie later. I definitely wouldn't want to go back to changing my viewing schedule to fit when things are on (and it is nice to have a good selection of HD things to show people that come over).

--Darin

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,614 Posts
Read the HDTV Programming Synopsis at the top of this forum. Decide based on what interests you most.

Keep in mind this will all soon (next 45 days or less) change as HDNet 2,3,4 come on line. It has not been determined yet where these will show up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Regarding the new HD channels comming out. From Dish's perspective, would seem silly to invest so much $$$$ in bringing out an HD-PVR and a new HD receiver if your business model did not include investing in content to promote it. As a Dish customer, I am fairly confident that they will at least 'keep pace' with the competition as far as HD content goes. What other provider is investing as much in this future medium?

·
Registered
12 Posts
DirecTV has HDNET and DishNet has DiscoveryHD and CBS HD. This will be changing very soon! DirecTV will be offering DiscoveryHD very soon and they are doing some private showings of this at some of the local Circuit City stores. One big reason to go with DirecTV is that you only need one (multi-sat) dish and one receiver. My neighbor has to have two seperate dishes for DishNetwork HD.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Since you are currently a Directv customer and need to purchase hardware you may get a deal thru DISH since you will be a NEW customer. They will give you a reduced hardware price and free install to get your business.

I think DISH is more committed to HDTV and has more bandwidth for future HD additions.

DISH will most likely have HDNET soon.

Point your Directv dish to 61.5 use the E* dish for the 110 and 119.

under $1000.00 now

Read the fine print .....

6022 Satellite System 20" Dish with 2 Dual LNBF's $289.95 *

http://www.internationalsatellite.co...stems/6022.htm

·
Registered
585 Posts
At this moment, I just have OTA hdtv, but I'm considering dish. The big advantage I see on Dish, is that I can sign up HBO/SHO a la carte and get their HD channels with a single dish 300, if you ignore the others HBO/SHO channels, like I'm planning to.

Directv does not have the a la carte option anymore. I'm stuck with cable for SD channels since I use their internet services. So this option is a big plus for me. I know this is not the case for the original poster, but it's an advantage with Dish, nonetheless.

I just don't know if I wait for HD cable or wait for Dish HD PVR or if I just go ahead and get a Dish 6000 ....

·
Registered
134 Posts
The disadvantages to Dish's HD stuff is that you have to pay $8/month to get DiscoverHD which I didn't think was worth it. Dish also has CBS's HD New York feed, but you have to qualify in order to get it otherwise you don't get it at all. And Dish requires 2 dishes on your roof to get HD which I really did not want.

Directv only needs a single oval dish to get HD, and HDNet is free. So I ended up choosing Directv.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
After having Dish a year and half (right after they put the HD channels on 148) the number one thing that annoys me is the east coast feeds. By the time I sit down to watch something I'm left with junk films that the producer was able to eek a little more money out of by selling the rights cheaply for late night content. I don't think that everyone getting PVRs is the solution. There needs to be west coast HD feeds on Dish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.