AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Albuquerque and have a Dish 6000 system with the OTA module. We currently have no HD channels being broadcasted (due this fall) but wanted to get the module in anticipation. However, when viewing the regular analog stations on it from my antenna I notice how BAD the picture quality is. The picture from my Mits HD TV using the internal tuner is much better. I hope this isn't indication of the quality of the HD channels that I may be seeing in the future. Any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
fjerina,

Which firmware version do you have for your Dish 6000? The latest one makes the color far less washed out for NTSC over the air signals. Before they looked weak and greyish, but now they look significantly better.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you; I have the OTA module, but no local stations broadcasting HDTV. The tuner in my Toshiba is superior to the NTSC tuner in the OTA module. I've heard from other forum members that HDTV looks stunning with the OTA module. Haven't seen it myself yet. Hopefully someone can confirm this hearsay.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, thanks for the words. I haven't looked at the NTSC stations since I got that new firmware upgrade a few weeks ago. I will have to check. I feel better that I am not the only one experiencing this situation with the analog stations. I really don't care much about the analog stations but I do want the HD ones (whenever we get them here in Albuquerque) to look GREAT.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The picture quality is much improved with the new software, but wait until you've seen HD on that receiver. It as good as anything out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not have experience with the Dish 6000 and its OTA module. My experience with other STBs that have built in satellite receivers, combined with long conversations with some manufacturers, has led me to believe that very cheap, poorly performing parts are purposely used for off-air NTSC signal processing in this type of receiver.

There are two reasons for this behavior: 1. This keeps the cost low.

2. The worse off-air NTSC signals look (especially compared to the satellite signals) the more likely the STB owner is to subscribe to the satellite service. STB retailers and manufacturers get money from the satellite people when this happens.

Unfortunately this thinking also extends somewhat towards off-air reception of ATSC signals. There is little incentive to put the latest generation 8VSB chipset in a consumer type STB that has a Direct TV or Dish receiver built into it. This doesn't mean STB owners will get a substandard picture from an ATSC signal, but it does mean that some of those in difficult reception areas will get no picture at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the San Francisco bay Area. Have the 6000 with the 8VSB OTA module. NTSC quality is poor relative to the TV's internal tuner, however digital broadcast (DT) look usually great (better than Dish's Satellite feed of the local station), and HD on CBS when available is wonderful. Be patient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.