AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody in the SF area tell me the specific compass direction the dish should point (18x24 dish). Clear view of the southern sky may not be enough for me. I believe it's in the 180 degree area but I have a pretty good size tree at around 160-170 degrees and want to make sure I will get the signals okay. I ran the SAT calc for my area and get a 147.4 true azimuth for the 101 SAT and 174.7 true azimuth for the 119 SAT. I believe I need to add an east declination offset to get the compass direction - is this correct? I'm hoping it's 175 degrees or greater. Thanks!

·
Registered
498 Posts
The declination (magnetic compass correction) for the bay area is about 16 degrees east. This means that the 147.4 true azimuth for the 101 sat translates into about 131 magnetic azimuth. The altitude is around 45 degrees, which should help.

Good luck!

------------------

Carl

·
Registered
887 Posts
tburton, I'm in the highlands and also have a dish pointed at the 61.5 for HD. You could go for that or 148 which now has the same HD channels (I think). My 61.5 as I recall is almost due East and about 13 degrees elevation but the site dagman posted should give the info if you select the 61.5. It was close but between luckily some neighbor's trees. 148 should be easier but I don't need to worry (yet)

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.