AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After numerous back-and-forth emails concerning DISH and Discovery HD, received the following email last Friday from Laura Danyliw, General Manager - Programming, EchoStar Communications Corp. stating "Well - we are in a holding pattern. Both sides have run into some issues that we are working out. Although we were targeting end of June for launch, it looks like that may slip to beginning of July....but it is coming. Bear with us!"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seandudley
Well, although it is a little disapointing that it won't be available on June 17th, at least it is coming! Yipee!
Ditto.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
This confirms my speculation based on Dish's new HD promo on PPV Channel 9428. Apparently no one else held the same opinion.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardrock
This confirms my speculation based on Dish's new HD promo on PPV Channel 9428. Apparently no one else held the same opinion.
You may be correct. You probably are correct, and I hope you are. But as they say, "it ain't over until it's over". Negotiations can always fall apart. I have to wonder what kind of sticking points are there that are holding up the negotiations. Until I see this channel on air, I won't know for certain that Dish will have it. At least I don't have to worry about rushing home from work today to see the Charlie Chat. It's doubtful there will be any announcement given the first post in this thread.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Jerry,

You work too hard!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
I have to wonder what kind of sticking points are there that are holding up the negotiations.
Price, price and price.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
xsailor,

I forgot to thank you for the heads-up.

Nice work!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
When does DISH show this new HD promo? Is it between movies? I still have not been able to catch it. Maybe you are just messing with us :D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YoYo
Maybe you are just messing with us :D
That's the ticket.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
The new demo is in between the PPV movie runs, you need to order the PPV, then get the demo after the show. The Discovery HD clips may or may not indicate anything.

So far, only the programming manager's response gave us the most compelling clue that Dishnetwork is preparing for Discovery HD. As for the reason for delay, the timing coincides with the E8 launch delay. Whatever that means.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Rumor control has it that the HD Discovery channel will replace the HD PPV channel. Supposedly the details will be aired on tonight's Charlie Chat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
The new demo is in between the PPV movie runs, you need to order the PPV, then get the demo after the show. The Discovery HD clips may or may not indicate anything.

So far, only the programming manager's response gave us the most compelling clue that Dishnetwork is preparing for Discovery HD. As for the reason for delay, the timing coincides with the E8 launch delay. Whatever that means.
I really appreciate your answer, without the bs

Thanks and have a great evening!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Jerry,

You work too hard!
That is so very true :)

After almost 4 years of having an HDTV, when it comes to new HD programming, I've become a pessimist. Less disappointment that way.

You have to understand that I, and others, went for months being told by Unity Motion that HBO and other HD programming was just a week away. Of course it wasn't. We were being blatantly lied to and then as we all know, UM went under due to incredibly incompetent management. That is what inadvertently trained me to be a pessimist with regard to HD programming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If DISH picks this up, I will immediately be switching from DirectTV. I am one of those poor Seattle-ites that lives on the wrong side of a steep hill. No over-the-air HD for me. With CBS, East and West HBO, and Discovery - sayonara DirectTV

·
Registered
930 Posts
Charlie's words on the chat ' I got a call today from a guy about Discover HD...we are talking to them about it....we are discussing if it makes sense for us to carry it...there will be a charge for that..' a bit paraphrased.

he sounded a bit stand-off-ish about it.

I called and they told me they did not have an update about it.

FREAK!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
Rumor control has it that the HD Discovery channel will replace the HD PPV channel. Supposedly the details will be aired on tonight's Charlie Chat.

This rumor was so easy to discount before the chat, it was laughable. I had hoped that unsubstantiated rumors would stop, but I guess not. Anyways...

Charlie just announced that IF Dish carries Discovery HD, Discovery HD will be by subscription. He essentially said that the holdup in the negotiations was related to how much Discovery HD wants to charge versus how much Charlie is willing to pay to make what it will cost us reasonable. My read was that Charlie wasn't optimistic.

Needless to say, there was nothing said about replacing the HD PPV as Marissadad said would happen.

P.S. Sorry, hardrock. But I told you so :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.