AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to stay with Dish when I move to HD and a HD recorder, is the 921 a deal breaker? I've read much about its bugs and lack of OTA menus.

To get the 'everything' pack with locals and HD costs:

Dish $93

Directv $102

Dish has more HBO, Max, and SHO channels and a TNTHD. Other than that its just a few channels difference.

I'd have to upgrade the Dish or swap out totally for Directv equipment.

So Dish is $9 less per month and both receivers are $1000 bucks.

Given the additional hassles of switching to Directv, the $108 difference per year for 'everything' programming and the variations in the HD-Tivo vs. the PVR -921, is the 921 a dealbreaker? Is the Tivo unit quite a bit better and worth the change?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The DirecTV HD TiVo is worth the extra cost to me. From everything I have observed, DirecTV equipment is far superior to Dish Network equipment and the difference is greatest when comparing TiVo to the Dish Network PVR. I have gotten credits from DirecTV that offset some of the higher cost for equipment and programming. There are threads comparing the equipment here and someone that has owned both PVRs may offer a current opinion. I decided over 7 years ago that DirecTV equipment was best and haven't seen anything that changes that opinion. Everything considered, I don't think DirecTV has cost me more than an additional $100 per year compared to Dish Network but once I decided the additional cost provided greater value, I haven't bothered to keep track.

Chris

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Last I checked the HD Tivo can be had for $899 if you shop around, I don't know if you can get the free installation and dish at that price though. Check the Tivo Community forums for the latest deals out there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Believe me...go with the HD-Tivo. There's a guy selling them to 1st time subscribers on EBAY for $699.00 and he's legit. You get the dish also. The install is not included but you can just put their dish on your E* mount and if you follow the included instructions an use the built in level it's fairly simple. If you get the nfl package, you get the full package for just $67+ change for the 1st 4 months. That includes the nfl package. I'm not sure when that offer expires.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Directivo HD may have more and stable features than the 921. It is substantially slower in navigating between menu's. Its sub-par picture quality is well-documented.. and Directv uses more compression than DISH.

The best advantage of 921 is that you don't need to subscribe the useless base-package to get the HD programming. Just pay $5 access fee instead of the $35 that Directv charges in addition to your HD programming.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlin
Directivo HD may have more and stable features than the 921. It is substantially slower in navigating between menu's. Its sub-par picture quality is well-documented.. and Directv uses more compression than DISH.
I own an HD TiVo and certainly don't know of the well documented sub-par picture quality. DirecTV doesn't have the bandwidth to handle all of the HD NFL football games and as a result the HD channels are indeed over compressed for the time being. I was of the opinion prior to football season that DirecTV HD picture quality actually surpassed Dish Network but I concede that is not the case now for sure. I watched the Fox HD broadcast of ML Baseball last night on DirecTV and it looked pretty good. HBO, Showtime and HDNet Movies are sub-par now.

Chris

·
Registered
619 Posts
Several posters at tivoforum noticed immediate degraded picture quality over their previous STB's, especially on the OTA channels.

I don't own one of these and can only report what other Tivo supporters have observed.

I just canceled my Directv account since the retention dept did not offer any credit to offset the cost of Directivo HD. and that I have pay the ridiculous base package to get HD.. forget that!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:

The best advantage of 921 is that you don't need to subscribe the useless base-package to get the HD programming. Just pay $5 access fee instead of the $35 that Directv charges in addition to your HD programming.
Also, another advantage with a 921 is you don't have to worry about dual OTA tuners or OTA guide data! All this for substantially more than the HDTivo, now that the HDTivo is $899 and 921 is still $999...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Quote:
Several posters at tivoforum noticed immediate degraded picture quality over their previous STB's, especially on the OTA channels.
I also own a Hughes HTL-HD, Hughes HIRD-E8, and RCA DTC-100 and although I haven't spent much time doing side by side comparisons, I believe the HD TiVo has picture quality on a par for both OTA and DirecTV HD with any of my receivers.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.