AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an announcement of the Dish PVR-921 that states it will allow DVI HDTV and will have the replay (like Tivo).

This combination of PVR, SAT and HDTV in one unit would be attractive. I presently have a Sony SAT-T60 (with Tivo) and a oval dish. Would all my hardware become useless if I switched to the DisH? I also noticed that there is the possiblity of the Dish and Direct becoming one company.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
It will probably be at least a year before Dish delivers the 921.

The Dish/DirecTV merger is not certain (yet). It will be a while (if at all) before anything happens that the end user will notice.

Who knows what else will change in the industry in a year?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
In answer to your question, though, it's unlikely that you'd be able to use your DirecTV dish with Dish Network. In the old days of single satellites, that was pretty easy, but the new dual-satellite dishes are designed to focus the signals from two orbital locations onto the two LNB's on the end of the little arm.

My understanding here (and I haven't tried it myself), is that since DirecTV and Dish have their satellites in different slot spacings, the shape of the dishes is not interchangeable.

So, you'd basically need to replace the dish, although you could possibly mount it on the same mast. That's something I *have* tried, though, and I found that Dish and Sony used different diameter masts, so I couldn't bolt one onto the other!

Anyway, I agree with PVR. Wait until the unit actually ships, then look around and see what else is out there, and then make your choice.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The worst thing about this news is that it will be a DVI recorder. I have a new Mits and they have promised to remain upgradeable to the firewire format, no word yet on DVI. I'm not sure I understand all the terminology but it appears I'm !#$&*.

------------------

George

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 110 satellite serves both Dish and DirectTV. (Mostly for

Dish but a few DirecTV locals on there too).

As was just said, the main difference (between Dish

and DirecTV dish equipment) is that the

multi-switch technology is different, but the dishes

and LNBs are interchangable.

[This message has been edited by PVR (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I beg to differ. The DirecTV and Dish SAT dishes, as are the LNB's are interchangeable...as far as the round dish single/dual LNB units are concerned.

I have DirecTV dishes providing the signals from the 119 and the 61.5 sats to my DISH 6000 and my DISH 501. The multiswitches ARE NOT interchangeable.

This allowed me to make the switch from DTV to DISH very easily (read no fooling with the 119 dish).

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.