AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an HD set, need a receiver. I like the sound of the $199 deal for Dish's 6000 since I already have Dish Network, but I can't part with my PVR. Currently we have a PVR upstairs and a basic box downstairs.

Can I add the 6000 to my upstairs HD set and just use it when I want to watch HD material, and use the PVR for everything else? Anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sure! As long as you have an extra HD component input or RGB input on the HDTV to add the 6000, you should be fine. When you order the 6000 from Dish, they will come out and install the 6000, and from what I've read from other people that had the 6000 installed, Dish will also supply the neccessary multi-switch and adapters to add the additional receiver to the house. If you were planning on keeping all three receivers you will have to pay 4.99 monthly for the third receiver(6000), but for what you get, it's still a heck of a deal. Just make sure they change the remote address on the 6000 so it wont interfere with the PVR and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Can I add the 6000 to my upstairs HD set and just use it when I want to watch HD material, and use the PVR for everything else? Anyone else doing this?
Yes, I am doing this.

Move the PVR to the SD set (downstairs?) and connect via s-video. Have the Dish installers set up the 6000 for the HD set upstairs and run an RG6 coaxial line from the PVR's RF out (set to channel 3) into the antenna input of the 8VSB on the 6000. Then get an extra RF remote for controlling the PVR upstairs from Dish for about $50.

If you want OTA digital use a combiner to combine the PVR RF (chan 3) with the antena line before feeding the 8VSB.

Have dish install the new receiver so your home is setup for 3-4 sat receivrs so that every reciever you have sees ALL of the sats as part of the $199 deal. Later on you can cancel your older third receiver but your house is wired for the future for HD programming in any room (at least for now).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a pretty cool solution, although my roommate and I are often watching different things at the same time upstairs and downstairs, so that might be tough.

I actually called dish today - they said that because I'm renting my equipment I'm not elligible for the $199 deal??!! Of course, the guy also said the deal ended today, when it really ends at the end of next month. Was he just full of it?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dish has been giving DHP rental customers grief over the promotion but it looks like some rental customers have made some headway.

Read the posts at the end of the Dish Network to offer HD Theater Package! and become another "squeeky wheel".

BTW the CSR is full of it and I would mention this to a manager to set things right.

Looks like your roomate gets tho old reciever and the PVR stays upstairs with the 6000u ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Heres another question similar to this post. I currently have Dish 500 and the standard receiver, 301 i think hooked up to my main viewing hdtv. I want to add the 6000u w/ the 8vsb cartridge. Can I add the 6000u to the main hdtv with the other standard receiver, or does the 6000u take the place of my existing receiver?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gater,

You can connect both receivers to one set. You will be charged 4.99 for the 2nd receiver regardless of what it's connected to. I have three connected to my hdtv.

I don't really know what guide the 301 has but it's my guess that the guide is better than the 6000. But probably not worth keeping since you can connect s-video and component and switch between SD and HD via the two inputs on your TV. Having a PVR around instead of a 301 may be more worthwhile...

HBO-HD and SHO-HD are still on 61.5 (or 148) which requires an additional dish to point at one of those AND the switch(s) necessary to combine the sat signals fro, the Dish500. I highly recommend you have Dish install the 6000u as part of the promotion and get your dish connectivity straight, basically at no extra charge. In fact if you have the 6000u shipped they may charge you an extra $8.95 s/h fee for the 8vsb.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks hardwired. So I'm assuming that I'll need some type of splitter to route the signal from my dish 500 to both recevers? After that I'll need to connect the 6000 via component to my component inputs on my hdtv, and go back and forth between inputs on the hdtv right?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gater

Yes, you need to switch between s-video and componnt inputs on the TV and switch the 6000 between SD and HD output mode(via button on the remote). Note that the 6000 cannot output SD and HD outputs simultaneously, where the new 811 can. You can also watch SD channels on the 6000 via the component outputs upconverted to 720p/1080i (this is what I do when surfing the HD channels) and have the choice of stretch, partial zoom or normal, if you don't want to keep switching back and forth to use SD.

If you don't want HBO/SHO-HD then DISH500 alone I believe is good for two receivers. If you want HBO/SHO-HD (now) then you need another DISH300 and at least some SW-21 switches (cheap) to combine the signals from the Dish300&500 to each receiver. There are some diagrams on the dishnetwork website somewhere.

Dish will hook you up if you get on the 6000 promotion if you are an existing customer and let them do the install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.