AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this in the HDTV recording section but got no responses. So maybe someone will know here: Can I pick up Dish Networks sat.148 with my Directv Oval dish?

I'm thinking of switching to Dish Network for recording purposes. Thanks

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
NOpe. The two Dish Network HDTV locations are at 148 & 61.5. Neither are easily available from the DirecTV Plus (oval) dish.

Here is a great link for what you can do with a oval dish & other valuable dish info:
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/index.htm

Many thanks to Kevin Timmerman for his help.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
With that being said, you can use the oval dish to pick up 148, just not at the same time you are using it to pick up 101, 110 or 119 which is probably what you and Ken are referring to.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to pick up 148 using the oval dish. (I have a extra oval dish). I know I wont be able to pick up other signals at the same time. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Sorry, didn't understand what you were asking.

In a broader context, any DirecTV dish/lnb can be used to get any single Dish Network location.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
To make aiming of the dish easier, make sure you set the rotation or skew to 0 degrees.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also believe you cannot use the multiswitch provided with most oval DirecTV dishes. This might not be a issue if you are only running 1 line out from the lnb. I thought I would give a heads up anyways.

DWhite

zx7r

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you using an oval Direct TV dish or an oval Direct PC dish? I had no luck with the Direct PC dish. Maybe because of the LNB type or the skew wasn't set to 0?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just bought a Dish5000 receiver and HD modulator for timeshifting HBO-HD & Showtime-HD. I'm a current subscriber of DirecTV with an elliptical dish dual-LNB pointing to 101 and 119. I will only use Dish5000 for recording HD. I understand that if I add a separate round dish (any existing DirecTV dish would work?) pointing to 148 bird then I'm done, but my question is: Can I use the "middle LNB" that's normally pointing to 110 bird on my existing DirecTv oval dish to point to the 148 bird? This would be more convenient as I don't have to add another dish, and I want to keep my DirecTV stuffs unchanged.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Phil,

If I understand your question correctly than the answer is no you can't. You must put up another dish. The distance between satellites is too great to be able to hit the 101, 119 and the 148 with one single dish.

Now...if you are asking can you use the single LNB that comes with the DTV 110 sat kit the answer is yes but again you have to mount it on a 18" dish.

This is the problem with DISH. you need two satellite dishes to be able to get regular programming AND HDTV either through the 61.5 or the 148 sat's.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.