AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/20903370

If this does go ahead, I wonder if you'd have to be a Dish sat. customer to get the streaming service?

That's what it sounds like to me because they would include STARZ, we know how that went with Netflix. No mention whether their streaming will be available on set top devices, if it's PC or mobile only then I'm not interested. On the plus side Blockbuster has always had a cozy relationship with the studios so they will probably get more new release movies.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've seen some Dish commercials where they offer new subscribers 3 months free of Blockbuster's Disc plan. I'm thinking they might do something similiar if or when they release the streaming service?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Well, at least Dish recognizes how far behind Blockbuster is.

I'm thinking this will be a non-starter unless you're a Dish customer, unless they start managing to get apps on devices and working out better deals. Netflix is so far ahead of the curve on both the content library and the sheer number of devices already hooked up to TVs (or on devices people are buying) that it's going to be hard to catch up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Altho netflix is ahead with content, there really still isn't that much quality content. I am thinking about switching to DVD only unless netflix gets some major deals soon, which is doubtful. Netflix major advantage is with device support, it would take about a year to catch them. But since the majority of netflix streaming is via game consoles, that is not too big of a hurdle, as long as you get the console maker's approval of course.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Good for Dish and Blockbuster.

Netflix needs to be kept in check and realize they are not a monopoly. *They are sort of acting like BB did in the late 90's.

This will be a win win for us consumers to help keep prices low.

Getting apps on device can be done quickly with FW updates so no problem getting into customer homes.

BB also has store fronts to help advertise the new service and sell compatible devices.

I hope Dish/BB are going in high gear to syphon up unsatisfied customers from Netflix's content and recent huge price increase.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh...you've got to be BB's biggest fan here
I think netflix fully understands they are not a monopoly as they don't own the content. The price hike has been due to the rising costs they are having. According to stats, most netflix streaming occurs via game console. Thus it may not be that quick for BB to release their app to consoles, as MS, sony, etc have complete control as to what apps are on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/20912964

Netflix needs to be kept in check and realize they are not a monopoly. *They are sort of acting like BB did in the late 90's.

Getting apps on device can be done quickly with FW updates so no problem getting into customer homes.

BB also has store fronts to help advertise the new service and sell compatible devices.

I hope Dish/BB are going in high gear to syphon up unsatisfied customers from Netflix's content and recent huge price increase.

·
Premium Member
36,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/20913950

I'm definitely not interested if I'll need to be a Dish customer to get the streaming service.

You don't have to be a Dish customer to use Blockbuster so I can't imagine you'd need a Dish subscription to use a Blockbuster streaming service.

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
If they want to be a direct competitor to Netflix it has to be available to those without the Dish service- meaning internet only, regardless of how you get it. Lots of us apt dwellers, and school kids don't have access to a dish, so they'd lose out on a lot of customers if it's so restrictive.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/20912964

Prices are more likely to go up. When content providers smell blood you have bidding war and the winner pays (or rather it subscribers do). BB can only lose money for so long before Dish folds it. It has to fight Netflix and Amazon on the streaming end and Red Box on the physical disc part.

·
Registered
17,908 Posts
This has about as much chance of making it big as the old snowball in hell .. even after Dish gets Blockbuster .. BB is still behind the 8 ball ..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet
Bandwidth is already tight. This smells like a money loser.
Not many people will have more than one pay streaming service at a time. If you can stream Netflix, then dropping it for Blockbuster will still work just fine. And if Dish gets to have it's own wireless network, then this service might even have some dedicated bandwith. Who knows, Dish may even have it's dvr's updated to be able to stream this service?

Anyway it's still pretty early in streaming's life. I feel the overall winners haven't been decided (or maybe even started) yet.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel /forum/post/20917460

Not many people will have more than one pay streaming service at a time. If you can stream Netflix, then dropping it for Blockbuster will still work just fine. And if Dish gets to have it's own wireless network, then this service might even have some dedicated bandwith. Who knows, Dish may even have it's dvr's updated to be able to stream this service?

Anyway it's still pretty early in streaming's life. I feel the overall winners haven't been decided (or maybe even started) yet.

Unless there is a big boost in network capacity and the data caps fall, streaming doesn't have anywhere to go, at least not at the prices that people want to pay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.