Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First some background info:

- I'm in Austin (Pflugerville actually)

- I have a Dish 300 & 500 going into a SW21 switch, then diplexed in with an antenna feed which then goes into 1 Dish 6000 and 1 Dish 501 receiver

Starting Sunday night I was watching various channels over my Dish and the signals started to break up and then I got the "Acquiring signal" screen.... sometimes the channel would come back, sometimes it would go to the error screen that lists the offending satellite. I noticed that the everytime the listed satellite was 110 West.

The problem continued on Monday so I thought I'd call Dish... I thought maybe they were having problems with the 110 satellite since my setup has performed flawlessly until now and nothing has changed.

The CSR said that there was nothing wrong with sat 110 and he had me go into the setup screen to look at the signal strengths... we made some interesting discoveries:

On Satellite 110 West, the early even numbered transponders obtain a lower signal than the odd numbered transponders. Here's the breakdown:

Transponder 1=91%, 2=75%, 3=85%, 4=78%, 5=86%, 6=73%, 7=80%, 8=80%. 9=92%, 10=73%, 11=82%, 12=97%, 13=89%, 14=90%

However, as you can see by the time I hit transponder 12, the even/odd theory kinda loses ground.... the majority of the even transponders after 14 obtain high signals. However, the fact that some of them are in the low 70s is problematic as even though they say 70 is considered an acceptable signal, the CSR was saying that if cloud cover rolls in it could drop me down into non-acceptable territory which could cause the dropouts.

To top it off, the CSR said that I have 2 problems stacked together.... we discovered that even though I receive very high signals (100%+) on all the transponders on the 119 West and 61.5 West satellites, I am not receiving any signal on transponders 3, 7, and 9 on 119 West, nor transponders 26 and 31 on sat 61.5 West. I assumed that depending on one's location, there would always be some transponders that you don't receive, but the CSR said that this was very odd - supposedly I should be getting all of them. I do receive all the channels listed in the guide however, so I am not sure how this is affecting my situation.

I also discovered that though the 6000 and 501 receivers behave identically (missing same transponders, low signals on the same as well), the low signal transponders were actually lower on the 6000 receiver... instead of being in the 70s, some were actually in the 60s!

Any thoughts? The CSR was pretty helpless.... he told me to check my connections... I did even though I knew they were fine as I haven't been having any problems up until now and nothing has been altered in any way. Also, weather conditions were perfect on the days I was having the problems, so I know it wasn't that.

Could it be the switch? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hyperseer

·
Registered
254 Posts
First,

Transponders 3,7, and 9 on 119 west are spotbeam local transponders. You will only be able to receive if you are in a spotbeam market. More than likely your SW21 is going bad. I've had this happen twice on my setup with a Dish500 and 61.5.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's a spotbeam transponder? I noticed that I had another transponder that said "spotbeam".

So it is normal not to get 3,7 and 9 on 119? What about 26 and 31 on 61.5?

As for the weak signals, I too thought it might be the switch.... I am going to try running the coax straight through to test.

Hyperseer

·
Registered
254 Posts
Spotbeams are used for local channel delivery in selected markets. This allows the satellite provider to reuse frequency thus allowing more locals to be delivered to different areas of the country. As for the two transponders at 61.5, they would not be spotbeams. Spotbeams are only at 119 right now. Transponder 5 is also a spotbeam. So if you tune to 5 you should see spotbeam on the meter. Transponders 26 and 31 on 61.5 are not active. Thus, you will not see anything on those two.

Your problem is your switch. Change it out or do the direct cable run like you are thinking about.

The CSR you talked to didn't know jack!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.