AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very up to date on Dish features but have been asked to help a friend hook up two new TVs in his home. He has another VIP722 dish receiver and will have one TV (Sony KDL-524100) running directly off the box, and then wants to hook up the second TV (new Sharp 52" LCD model ?) via the coax output from the 722 receiver. Will this 2nd TV output send HD over the coax to the second TV?

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
No. TV2 is just SD. It will not even show the OTA channels. You can watch OTA on TV2 if it is prerecorded. Some people start recording an OTA on TV1 and begin playing it back on TV2.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Todd,

I guess that is what I had heard, but I downloaded a copy of the manual and it was a little confusing in this area. From the overview on page 12 -

"Satellite Receiver

The ViP622 DVR and ViP722 DVR are dual-tuner satellite receivers with digital video recorders.

With either receiver you can view/record standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD)

DISH Network programming on two TVs or view/record over-the-air digital/HD broadcasts on the

nearby HDTV.

Nearby TV (TV1)Connect to an HDTV to view SD and HD DISH Network programming and

over-the-air digital/HD broadcasts. Programming from the receiver is delivered to the nearby

TV using short audio/video cables.

Remote TV(s) (TV2)Connect to an SDTV to view SD and down-converted HD broadcasts.

Programming from the receiver is usually delivered to the remote TV(s) using existing in-home

coaxial cable."

It first states - "The ViP622 DVR and ViP722 DVR are dual-tuner satellite receivers with digital video recorders. With either receiver you can view/record standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD)

DISH Network programming on two TVs"

It then states that for the remote TV or TV2, "connect to an SDTV to view SD and down-converted HD broadcasts."

It looks like they are contradicting themselves, thus my confusion.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK,

I read on a little further,for the 3rd time I think, and it definitely says that the HD content viwed on TV 2 will be downconverted to Standard Definition.

So, can I run HDMI to TV1 and Component plus analog audio to TV2? This friend is mostly trying to get this set up for a super bowl party, so he would be vieing the game on both TVs.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can actually run component to 1, and HDMI to the other TV, and you will get HD on both TV's. Granted, you will only be able to watch the same channel on both, but it will still be HD

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks, that is what I needed to know. I'll chime in later to let everyone know how it all worked out. Since I need to pull the component and audio, I will probably pull a coax as well, that way, if he needs to have different content on each TV he can, but with only SD on TV2.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts