AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

We are being charged the $5 fee for not having our Dish ViP722 DVR not hooked up to a phone line.

Now, we did purchase a RCA phone jack (RC940) outlet, however I am not sure if I have installed it properly as the DVR cannot detect a dial tone. We have VOiP, so I hooked up the base unit from the VoiP box to the RCA base unit, and then the extended unit was plugged upstairs and hooked up to the ViP722.

Any ideas? I think I may have screwed up somewhere. TIA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 /forum/post/15589012

Do you have a modem/router anywhere near your DVR? You could just hook it up thru ethernet as well....

No, unfortunately our router is downstairs so I can't connect it. Anyway to do it wirelessly?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not that I know of..... There is probably a reason you can't pick up a dial tone.... thats cuz you don't have phone service!!! You have VOIP, but I don't think that is compatible with the 722. Maybe try calling Dish, see what they say?

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun55 /forum/post/15588888

Hi guys,

We are being charged the $5 fee for not having our Dish ViP722 DVR not hooked up to a phone line.

Now, we did purchase a RCA phone jack (RC940) outlet, however I am not sure if I have installed it properly as the DVR cannot detect a dial tone. We have VOiP, so I hooked up the base unit from the VoiP box to the RCA base unit, and then the extended unit was plugged upstairs and hooked up to the ViP722.

Any ideas? I think I may have screwed up somewhere. TIA.

We don't have a home phone line, haven't for about 12 years. So we just plugged our 722 into ethernet and connect by broadband. There is not too much you can do with it yet, but it eliminates the $5.00 charge.

Jusy my 2 cents.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you only have one receiver, the idiotic (because a dual-tuner box can't have its tuners in two different places, but whoever wrote their billing software evidently ignored that) phone line requirement is supposed to go away next month. Of course, this is Dish we're talking about. So who knows if it'll happen on schedule.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 /forum/post/15591867

You have VOIP, but I don't think that is compatible with the 722.

This is an INCORRECT assumption.

I too have VoIP and I too have the remote dial box connection and it works just fine.

All VoIP vendors tell you NOT to connect the output of their modem to your existing home phone wiring. This is simply due to the fact that Telco supplies a 90V line voltage on that circuit, regardless of whether or not you have phone service with them.

All you need to do is locate your punchdown block which every home has.

This will be located adjacent to where ever your telephone lines enter you home. This punchdown has two sides. One side is the Dmark (telco side) and the other is the CIS side (customer interface side). Simply pull the wires fromthe Telco side, cut the ends and wrap each wire in tape to prevent them from shorting.

Next, plug the output of your VoIP modem into you existing house wiring and VIOLA, you can now plug into ANY of the jacks in your home. I have been using my VoIP modem like this for five years now with several different vendors. First was Vonage, but their technical support was atrocious. Then came AT&T CallVantage. Pretty good, but had some issues. I finally settled with Comcast for Phone & Broadband.

Just to give a little of my background : I have been in the telecom industry (mostly wireless) for the better part of 16 years now having worked as an engineer for SBC, AT&T and currently Alcatel-Lucent (last 8yrs). This was after serving 12 years in the USAF working on microwave/satellite equipment.

Oh, I also do HT design/installation on the side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts