AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
You can learn a lot from a dummy!
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using Dish for South Asian channels and the 200 ch bundle (all SD). I need to upgrade (domestic channels, at least) to HDTV, having recently purchased a Samsung DLP set.

Which of the 3: Dish, ATT, TW provide the best picture quality (with multiple tuner DVR set-top boxes)?

I'll need to drive at least 3 TV's one of which will be HDTV, for now (I'll upgrade the others in the next few months).

The important consideration (in that order of importance) are:

Picture quality

channel selection

monthly cost

DVR feature

multiple tuner (at least 2)

Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Dish & AT&T U-verse are very close in HD image quality. There are topics for both in this forum. See the HDTV National Channel Lineup topic at the top of this forum for what each carry.

For cable, check the HDTV Locals forum for the topic for your area, as cable varies from service area to service area.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply and the pointers.

Both threads mostly talk about the channel lineups, which is useful.

I am mainly looking for discussion about the picture quality, hardware (de)merits of the various receivers ised by Dish, ATT, TW.

For example, which one provides the most ch. in 1080i?

Do any of them show ch in 1080p?

Which one compresses the signal the least?

Which one has the least artifacts?

Most capable DVR?

Most # of tuners?

Is there any forum/thread where the hardware (and signal/picture quality) of such things are discussed?

Thanks again.

Aloke

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
No one provides channels in 1080p.

Given your stated parameters (although we don't know which specific TWC region you are in) most here would agree TWC is a non starter.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in Central Ohio (Columbus) region. There is a thread in the local service forum, but has almost no traffic :-(

Why is TWC bad? I have heard (not confirmed) that ATT Uverse compresses their signal a lot. For transmission and to be able to record 4 HD streams simultaneously.

Seeing that all satellite and cable providers use different DVR hardware, I hope to find some discussion on their UI, quality etc somewhere on AVSForum ...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please elaborate. What's wrong with TWC?

Someone in my carpool who has ATT (and HD DVR boxes from them) says that his HD pictures get "pixellated" in high motion sequences. That is unacceptable to me.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/15540571

I am mainly looking for discussion about the picture quality...

Again, Dish & AT&T U-verse are very close in HD image quality. Both are a slight cut below DirecTV.

For TWC, check the HDTV Locals forum for the topic for your area, as cable varies from service area to service area.

In terms of number of HD channels, Dish & DirecTV will usually have a lot more HD channels, but this too is dependent on your local area.

For hardware, see the HDTV Recorders Forum.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/15546844

Please elaborate. What's wrong with TWC?

In most areas they have fewer HD channels and less HD image quailty. Again, this varies from area to area.

Quote:
Someone in my carpool who has ATT (and HD DVR boxes from them) says that his HD pictures get "pixellated" in high motion sequences. That is unacceptable to me.

When viewing high action live video, like live sports, you will get some degree of image blocking (pixelization) from all providers. This is unavoidable.

Each provider takes different approaches to minimise HD image artifacts. Some providers reduce resolution, which results in a lack of detail, while others reduce bandwidth which results in image blocking.

See my previous comment about where U-verse falls compaired overall to other providers.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/15546634

... I have heard (not confirmed) that ATT Uverse compresses their signal a lot. For transmission and to be able to record 4 HD streams simultaneously. ...

Unless things have changed, that's 4 total streams, only two of which are HD; the other two are SD!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
dish has the best dvrs of any provider.

if you record a lot of hd content like i do, this is a big deal

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat /forum/post/15550828

Unless things have changed, that's 4 total streams, only two of which are HD; the other two are SD!

This is what ATT site says about their recorder:

"Watch up to 4 different recorded shows at the same time. Up to 3 of these can be in HD!"

"Access your DVR from any device with an Internet connection to

schedule and manage your recordings."

I'm not sure how many HD channels can be recorded simultaneously: My understanding is 4. Its not clear from their web site..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

It is important that we be able to view recorded programs from any TV, not just the one attached to the STB. That rules out WOW and TWC.

So, it is between Dish and ATT.

It appears that Dish may have better picture (more bandwidth/ch) than ATT. But ATT has more features on their DVR (4 tuners) than Dish 722 (2 tuners, 1 HD and 1 SD playback).

I might try ATT for a month or two to see how I like it. I can always cancel without any penalties or installation charge.

Aloke

·
Registered
5,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad /forum/post/15557393

It appears that Dish may have better picture (more bandwidth/ch) than ATT. But ATT has more features on their DVR (4 tuners) than Dish 722 (2 tuners, 1 HD and 1 SD playback).

I might try ATT for a month or two to see how I like it. I can always cancel without any penalties or installation charge.

Aloke

What features? The only thing ATT has over Dish I can think of is HD channel selection/count, SD PQ and the whole house DVR. ATT has a good DVR with a prettier interface that Dish's, but it is not a better DVR, IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not leverage Dish Network, if you go Sat, go Direct TV. the MPEG4 is great and works well. Never heard anything convincing about Dish...ever, actually.

Either try ATT UVerse or stick with Direct TV and WOW for HD and Internet.

-ap

·
Registered
400 Posts
I currently have Dish. I just called yesterday to cancel since my contract is finally up in May and I am willing to pay the $40 early cancellation fee to do away with them. I had DTV before Dish and TW before that.

Yes... Dish has the better HD-DVR however, there actual program guide and DVR software sucks... my wife and I both hate it. I think we got really spoiled because before Dish, we had Tivo. Doesn't even compare. This may be personal opinion but that's how we feel. We didn't have DVR when we had TW, but are going that route because I don't want to be stuck in a contract again. I waiting for FIOS in my area.

As for IQ, I can't complain about Dish. However, we often have issues with a few seconds here and there of lost signal on HD programming. Had a tech come out twice to no avail. Even in mild overcast days, we get loss of signal. Never had that issue with DTV.

Not sure if we will be any happier with TW but at least I won't be stuck in a contract like I was with Dish and DTV before that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Help!!!!

I was just lured to ATT Uverse in Houston from comcast digital by the high number of HD channels, wireless modem and lower cost. My initial reaction is the att uverse PQ is well below that of Comcast. Just not nearly as sharp. Someone tell me this is just a need to adjust my Sony hd settings. What are your experiences with att uverse??

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have uverse near the chicago area and Ive been happy with it. My installation didnt take long and honestly I dont even care about the channel selection considering me and my fiancee really only watch a total of 20 channels. Make sure you get the HD package. Thats all we watch and I think the picture quality is excellent. They have a few promotions going on right now. Tell them you are considering getting a different provider and they may cut you a deal. I told them I might go with Direct TV and they gave me a pretty good discount. I have the u100 channel selection w/HD and I cant remember which tier my internet speed is, but its good enough to play my PS3 online. I pay a total of $70 a month for one year. Its a flat fee with taxes and all that junk included. After that I think it jumps to $115. Another thing to point out, their customer service has been well above comcast. The hdmi cable they gave me recently went out and they gave me a $30 credit to buy a new one. Try getting that out of Comcast. All in all I think youll be pleased with ATT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.