AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post. I have had Dish for years now. I'm going to be moving shortly and thought of switching to Direct when I move.

I'm pretty focused on cost savings, but I want my HD on two tv's if possible (one for sure). My current setup is the VIP-942 serving two tv's, one being HD. I think my package is the top-200 or similar.

I am interested in the new technology like the Hopper from Dish and the Genie from Direct. My issue is this: it looks like after the one year promo period, both setups would cost around $90 per month! I currently pay about $70 with the same package and my 942 receiver. Am I wrong, or have prices really gone up this much (with improved technology)? Also, for a two tv setup, which satellite provider is cheapest before and after promo periods? Which is most user friendly for tv-2?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
When you say 2 TVs, there are 2 different use cases to consider. Both in use independently, or only one TV in use at a time. If the latter, you can use a wireless HDMI box to connect the second TV. I use one from Iogear and it operates seamlessly. There are plenty of manufacturers using the same Amimon technology. Just that it cannot be too far away -- needs reliable signal strength. Alternatively, there are wired solutions using the home's ethernet.

·
Registered
15,373 Posts
Short term, switching is cheaper. But long term you'll end up paying $31 in equipment fees alone with Direct for 1 DVR and 1 receiver. The same fees for a hopper and joey are $17 today, rising to $21 soon. So Dish is still cheaper in the long run. If cost is your main concern, I'd switch to Direct then back to Dish in 2 years.

Cloning the main TV in HD rather than having an independent TV2 like you have today will save you $6-$7 in monthly fees with either provider, but will cost a few hundred for a device like the previous poster recommended, unless you can just run a cable. And controlling it can get tricky. If you want independent TV2, both providers are essentially identical as far as operation and user friendliness go.

Cheapest of all, besides OTA, is cable and Windows Media Center HTPC as a DVR. I'm paying only $2 in equipment fees for my whole home (1 DVR plus 5 clients) and $50 for programming, rising to $70 when my discounts expire. Initial equipment costs are a few hundred dollars. My equipment costs were recovered within the first year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.