AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 47" Panasonic HDTV in yesterday morning and have been tweaking since I turned it on. So far, I got 480p DVD looking damn good, LD looks not very good, cable and especially VHS looks pretty bad. Very grainy, snowy, noisy, with a lot of color bleeding. I know I have much more work to do before I can give up on VHS and SVHS.

But my question is this: How will DISH look on this set? Will it look about like cable, or better? The unstable, grainy, noisy image of VHS and some cable stations is unwatchable to me and I am hoping DISH would look a heck of a lot better.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Matt,

non HD channel from Dish will look similar or better than cable, but HD channels over the air (OTA) and/or Dish look absolutly fabulous, so does 480p from a good progressive scan dvd player.

2 different technologies, 2 different looks.

Enjoy your new HD TV.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
517 Posts
On my Sony 53HS10, even the lower channels from dish look pretty good.

-Premium channels like HBO (non-HDTV) look almost DVD quality and HD channels look fabulous.

-The new CBS-HD programming is outstanding. I dont like any CBS shows but I watch them just to see HDTV.

-I also have analog cable from RCN and that looks pretty unwatchable, however since the feed is free i.e. I never signed up for it but it comes anyway I have connected it to the TV to show the contrast in picture quality versus dish.

-Analog OTA doesnt look bad but OTA DT again looks very clear (don't know what resolution they use for non-HD)

-HD OTA looks amazing especially PBS

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do VHS, SVHS and Laserdisc look like (if you own LD or SVHS)? They look terrible on my set. A major downer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unless you have an extremely high end LD player, you should use the composite connection instead of S-Video. This will use the filter in the TV instead of the one in the LD player. Laserdisc video is stored composite as opposed to VHS being stored with seperate y/c information. This is why even though you don't gain resolution, you get a slightly better picture using a S-VHS machine over a VHS one. S-VHS with DNR is double good because it removes the grain.

I've had my TV (Mits 55807) for a little over a week and have only watched one LD. The Lion King looked pretty decent and certainly no better than regular DSS. If I could reduce the noise in the LD signal(get a better player) it would look alot better.

------------------

William

Go Bucs

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
I dont like any CBS shows
how can you not like some of their comedies and especially CSI?

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Pioneer CLD-704, which is one of the very best consumer grade LD players. It is hooked up via Composite, as it does look a little better.

I am hoping that when Sears gets here on Friday that adjusting the red push and gray scalewill help. The White Smear problem is pretty severe, so hopefully they will actualy have the parts with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.