AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HiPix and I need a dish5000 plus module to watch hdtv. I think I have found a 5000 but it does not have the module. Is the module that goes with the 6000 the same as the one that goes with the 5000? If so, then that means getting the 5000 is the hard part and finding a module is the easy part.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
No, they are not the same module. The 5000 has two module options, The HDTV modulator and the 5.1 DD output. The 6000 has an 8vsb tuner module option for OTA reception

You need the 5000 and HDTV modulator. You already have an 8vsb tuner in your HiPix for OTA. You will still get 5.1 DD on HDTV channels. The DD5.1 module is for 5.1 on SDTV channels and these modules are very rare.

Dish Depot .com apparently has some new stock of 5000's and HDTV modulators at less than most early adpoters paid. Go this route. Used receivers are always trouble because of the access card and previous owners.

Also if you have not used the HiPix yet I suggest you look on the HTPC forum. There are a number of upgrades and tips on HiPix with 5000 systems.

Here is a tip from my experience: The 5000 modulator is not a precision frequency standard. The tuner in the HiPix is a bit sloppy too. In my system my 5000 modulator is set for channel 3 output. The Panny DST50 gets it on channel 3, The RCA DTC100 gets it on channel 3 as well. But the HiPix receives it on channel 4. So you may need to try both channel 3&4 to get it to work with the 5000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.