AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my dish6000 receiver less than a month ago. In the last few days I've noticed some small black squares scattered across my screen. They appear in different places and quantities. At times the screen is littered with them and then other times there is none. They appear in both sd and hd modes so I'm ruling out a cabling problem. Has the receiver gone bad? I called Dish and they told me to try a new s-video cable and switch it to a different TV. I really don't want to move the receiver (complex cable routing). Has anybody experienced this? Do I just call Dish and tell them I've done all the testing and to send someone out?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
I connect with high quality component video cables. No problems. Don't discount them. Poor or defective cables could potentially cause signal loss and pixelation. Pixelation being the digital vesion of snow on analog tvs....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by webmarin
I connect with high quality component video cables. No problems. Don't discount them. Poor or defective cables could potentially cause signal loss and pixelation. Pixelation being the digital vesion of snow on analog tvs....
The connection between the 6000 and your TV is analog, and obviously has NOTHING to do with the black squares JeffL is seeing.

Little black squares is indicative of signal loss by the receiver. I'd expect it to be accompanied by audio dropouts as well. Assuming your dish isn't obstructed and is properly peaked, I'd check all your connections and cables going to the dish.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. it sounds like I should check out my signal strength when this is going on. How would you check your wiring and connections? Just make sure they are tight? I just thought it was wierd that the problem existed over a period of days. I was just a little pissed when the guy from Dish told me the receiver might be bad.

Thanks for the info

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.