AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OTA channel program info does not come through in the NYC area after the new software update. Does it work in other areas of the country?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
What OTA channels? The digital channels never had program info, all they ever said was "Local Digital". The analog channels would only give you program info if you associated a network to the channel on the initial setup. Nothing has changed in this regard.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tillman:
I find it hard to beleieve this information would not be sent along somewhere in the bitstream in addition to the existing start/end times. I'm talking about all of our local digitals: CBS/NBC/FOX/ABC/WOR/WPIX/WNET.

I've never checked this feature on other STB's... just assumed it was there. Are you saying they can't insert 50 to 100 alpha characters to identify the program?

I thought this was one of the features of the software upgrade. I'll have to go back and read through those threads.
Well, it's up to the stations to send this data. I believe none of the NYC stations are sending any PSIP data aside from the time, station call letters, and remapping instructions. I would think that if they did, the 6000 would display it.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
372 Posts
The local digital channels have to send the program info. The Dish 6000 can't display it if the station doesn't send it. I own a Dish 6000 with OTA module and receive no program info from the Atlanta DT stations. I also owned an HDTV with built-in decoder and also never received any program info in the built-in guide. Maybe someday they will start sending the guide info but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by terry2:
The local digital channels have to send the program info. The Dish 6000 can't display it if the station doesn't send it.
Even then, unlike the Dish channel guide, which apparently is being transmitted over each transponder and contains info about all Dish channels, you still couldn't get the OTA channel info integrated into the guide unless you actually tuned to that local channel. That mostly defeats the purpose! You normally access the guide, so you can decide which channel to tune. Unless the 6000 could somehow do a background scan on all the local digital channels, and buffer up any guide info it finds, I don't see how this local channel info would be all that useful.

Getting something useful when pressing "info" while already watching a digital OTA channel would be nice, but, repeatedly doing "flip", "info", "flip", "info", just to find a show is not good.

------------------

-- Dan Farris

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been a software guy for 20+ years and have a little difficulty believing that this basic information was not part of the OTA standard adopted a couple of years ago.

If a receiver has a lock on a signal then 'header' info should be read by decoder and inserted into the guide. Read a record, write a record... Computers 101.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find it hard to beleieve this information would not be sent along somewhere in the bitstream in addition to the existing start/end times. I'm talking about all of our local digitals: CBS/NBC/FOX/ABC/WOR/WPIX/WNET.

I've never checked this feature on other STB's... just assumed it was there. Are you saying they can't insert 50 to 100 alpha characters to identify the program?

I thought this was one of the features of the software upgrade. I'll have to go back and read through those threads.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What John is asking, and what I also wonder is :

Do the local stations insert program data into the PSIP?

- or -

Is the program information there and the 6000 ignores it?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
KOIN in Portland, OR includes the PSIP Info but the 6000 is not programmed to read it.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.