AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Dishnet High Defination 811 receiver. I use to have the PVR501 that allowed me to record, pause live tv, etc. I am looking to get one of the new DVD-Recorders to be able to use with my Dishnet 811. Is there a DVD-Recorder out there that will work with a Dishnet receiver? I would like to have the ability to pause live TV, and have all the PVR features like on the 501 but recording quality is the most important to me. Which unit do you folks recommend that I look into?

The dishnet receiver receiver has:

DVI and component hookups

Thanks for any recommendations

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You'll need the Dish 921 to record. Buy 2, they're only $900 each

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTBolt
I currently have a Dishnet High Defination 811 receiver. I use to have the PVR501 that allowed me to record, pause live tv, etc. I am looking to get one of the new DVD-Recorders to be able to use with my Dishnet 811. Is there a DVD-Recorder out there that will work with a Dishnet receiver? I would like to have the ability to pause live TV, and have all the PVR features like on the 501 but recording quality is the most important to me. Which unit do you folks recommend that I look into?

The dishnet receiver receiver has:

DVI and component hookups

Thanks for any recommendations

·
Registered
234 Posts
SVTBolt:

The Toshiba RS-TX20 or TX60 will do the trick. They both have TiVo. Go to threads on DBSTalk.com and do a search for Dish Network receivers and TiVo. Also there is a TiVo.com forum. I chose not to get them because I wanted to edit out commercials and copy VHS and DVD (without copy-write). But also check the thread on this forum about the use of video stabilizers. Instead I got the Toshiba RD XS32. It has an IR blaster that changes the channels on Dish Receivers. Just be sure to keep the remote code of the 811 on "1". There is a thread on this DVD on this forum. It does a great job on editing. Good luck. I have hardly got any sleep since last Friday when I bought the RD- XS32. I have copied two DVD and made a wide screen anamorphic DVD from the 921. Just set the 921 for 16X9 and 480i and ran a S video cable from it to the RD-XS32. It has three inputs, line one line two and line three. Ran another S video cable to the back of my Television. You just must change the settings on the 921 from 1080 i while it is outputting HD from the components. The picture will not display on the television but then you select the S video intake on the television (that gets the lead from the RD XS32 and the picture comes back on the television in the squashed anamorphic. It is only in this picture that the High Definition can be copied animorphicaly on DVD.

Forgot to mention. On the Toshiba RD XS32 you can only pause and replay while using the SKIP to located the scene during recording of television. But you can do everything you want with the other two Toshiba DVD's that have the TiVo. They also have IR blasters that operate the 8ll.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Help! I am planning to get the RS-TX20 if I can find it somewhere online.

My only question is:

Can I copy non-copy-protected VHS tapes to the hard drive or the DVD in addition to all the Tivo functions?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. - I have had a Tivo Series 1 since Dec. 2001 and want to upgrade to a Series 2 with DVD Recorder. I am not worried about editing out commercials. If I want to do this, I can do it on my PC. But I would like to be able to copy my old home VHS tapes to DVD. Please let me know any advice you might have. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You can't do any editing or copying of anything other than television stations. I was ready to by it but found out that any DVD player with TiVo does not allow for editing. You can't even edit out commercials. Ray

·
Registered
215 Posts
martig/Ray:

Since I've had a Tivo for a long time, I think I know how to make it record from my VHS tape. Basically, turn on the VCR (and push play) in line with the video input. Push record, and it will work. Yes, with a Tivo you can't edit out commercials on the unit. You can skip them with the 30 sec. hack on playback from the hard drive. As far as the DVD goes, I think I can put it in my PC and edit out the commercials if I really want to eliminate them.

I had an RD-XS32, and it was great. But, I have run out of physical space on my TV stand (I have a Sony 50" GWIII LCD projection unit). So, I sold the XS32 on Ebay for almost what I paid for it and will get an RS-TX20. It will work fine for me. I also like the idea that the Tivo DVD will have the name of the show at the beginning of the segment on the DVD.

I assume I can play regular DVD's in the RS-TX20.

Please correct any assumptions above if you think have have made some errors.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. - Does anyone know where I can find the RS-TX20 in stock anywhere online, or at least for a better price than buying from Best Buy?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here's are a few customer reviews from the Circuit City web site regarding the new TiVo® Series2™ DVR/DVD Recorder by Humax (DRT800)

HMX DRT800

Here are the customer comments. Note that recording from a VCR is easily accomplished: (Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!)

Amazing New Tivo

Reviewer: TY from SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA on Sun Oct 17 10:55:36 EDT 2004

8 out of 8 found this review helpful

This is our 4th Tivo, with this new humax/tivo dvd-r,we love the ability to upload all my home movies to the Tivo and watch them when ever , we also burnt a few to dvd's and sent them the the relatives. This humax Tivo is automatically able to turn on te sub titles of any dvd (if feature is offered) with our noisy house we always use them. We can burn any program to dvd at the touch of a button. All this as well as 80hr of record time with all the Tivo features. ONE of my my best loves is the ability to automatically rewind 30min on what ever channel the Tivo is on when i turn on the TV. do not be fooled by the generic dvrs from cable go with A first class dvr TIVO SERVICE. Don't you deservce the best? PS: We tossed out the vcr, :)

Was this review helpful to you?

Image quality 5

Ease of use 5

Sound quality 5

Cost-Benefit 5

Overall 5.0

Tivo Times a Million!

Reviewer: justbebo from Detroit, MI on Mon Oct 18 10:01:49 EDT 2004

3 out of 3 found this review helpful

This machine is so easy to use and provides everything I wanted. I love the DVD recorder and the Tivo feel on the burned DVD's. Get it while you can it is HOT!

Does any of you own one of the new Humax Tivo / DVR's?

Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.