AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I've looked pretty hard and never found a direct answer to this question, so please bear with me.

My apartment complex is installing DishNet in the next month, and I want to make sure they get the equipment necessary to allow me to watch HDTV content. Unfortunately, I know very little about DishNet, and I suspect my landlord knows even less, so I want to be as specific as I can when I tell him what he needs to get.

Obviously, an HDTV capable receiver is a must. However, I'm confused with all the mention of "Enhanced HD Adapters" and whatnot. The 6000 seems to be the only HD capable DishNet receiver right now, so that is easy, but what do the adapters allow that the receiver alone does not? Can I use it for HD locals?

The dish is the big unknown to me. I hear talk of three or four different sattelites, are all the sattelites required, or do you point at different sattelites for different lineups? Can the normal dishes pick up all the sattelites? Is there a special HD dish?

Finally, is there any special requirements for splitters and multiswitches, etc?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Right now, the 6000 is it for Dish HDTV. See the HDTV STB Synopsis for more info.

The 6000 has ports for 2 modules.

- The 8PSK module is standard now, if you are buying new. It allows the 6000 to receive all the HD available from Dish. See the HDTV Programming Synopsis for details on Dish HDTV programing and what's available via OTA in your area.

The 8VSB module is for receiving local OTA DTV stations, with a standard UHF and/or VHF antenna.

As for dishes, Dish Network currently has slots active at 4 locations. To receive everything they currently have, you need 3 locations from 2 dishes, one for 119 & 110, the other for 61.5 or 148.

The number and type of multiswitches is based on the number of receivers needed to supply with signal.

Here is more info on master antenna & DBS system design.
http://www.starkelectronic.com/index.htm#MANUALS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.