AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing a Sears/JVC Dish 6000 Series. JVC's website noted the following description:

"TU-6020DU is available with TU-6000RU plus DISH 300 antenna and dual LNBF (MSRP$579.99)

And TU-6023DU is available with TU-6000RU plus one DISH 300 antenna with dual LNBF and one DISH 500 antenna with twin LNBF (MSRP$699.99)"

I'm new to the satellite arena and would like to know what is the difference on a DUAL vs. TWIN LNBF?

I plan to have TWO receivers in my house: one w/HDTV (6000) and one w/standard TV (using the 2800 receiver).

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Dual LNB - has two outputs, used for viewing 1 single satellite slot (i.e. 61.5 in your case)

TWIN LNB - also has 2 outputs. However, what's in that packaging is the following -

2 Dual LNB's and a switch. The TWIN is used on a Dish500 dish to view programming at the 119 and 110 slots.

Since you want to get a Dish6000 for HD, you will need one of each. They get joined by a SW21 (the outputs of the LNB's goto the inputs of the SW21, the SW21's output goes to the 6000). You can also hook the 2800 up the same way if desired, but the 2800 will not get any HDTV programming that is on 61.5, even if you are subscribing to it. The 2800 WOULD receive any NON-HDTV programming on 61.5.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The DISH 500 with twin LNBFs, plus a 300 with a dual LNBF is the most economical way to allow hookup of two receivers to 3 satellites. However, it will limit you to exactly 2 receivers. If you want to plan for expansion, consider a different arrangement:

1) Dish 300 with Dual LNBF for the the HighDef satellite (61.5). This is no different.

2) Two additional Dish 300's with Dual LNBFs

3) A SW64 switch, that couples 3 separate satellite dishes and feeds up to 4 receivers.

In addition to gaining the ability to add extra receivers, you will get a stronger satellite signal with separate dishes (with even more improvement if you substitute a larger dish - 24" or more). This will reduce the dreaded RAIN FADE. If it doesn't rain much where you are, this may not matter.

Also, DISH will soon have a non-HD receiver with internal PVR that has two tuners - so you can record one channel while watching another. This will require two feeds. Rumor has it that a similar receiver that is also HD will be available at end of 2002.

FYI - I started with the standard 300/500, but I'm in the process of upgrading to the configuration I described. My reason was to reduce rain fade.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred/Scooper,

Thanks very much for the overview. This is what I got from your explanations; please correct me if I'm wrong...

Dish 500

110' and 119'

Dish 300

61.5'

---------------

HDTV: I will need the 500 and 300 connected via SW21 on 110', 119' and 61.5'?

NTSC: I will only need the feed from 61.5' to the 2800 receiver?

----------------

I think maybe I'm a little confused - let me know?

Also, I'm currently using DirecTV with an OVAL 24" HD capable dish. I have not used it for HD and would like to abandon it altogeter. Can I use it that this 24" dish to pickup DishNetwork signals later on?

BTW, why does Dish need 2 dishes vs. an oval one like DirecTV?

Thanks guys...I really need any help you could provide as I plan to install this myself (DirecTV did the "professional" install on my current system)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Mostly correct, but you'll want to connect your 2800 to the 110/119 instead of 61.5.

I'd hold on to your 18x24 dish for a while.

The reason Dish requires 2 dishes is because they are too far apart for a single dish to get at an affordable price.

If you already have a dish mount and cabling from a previous D* installation, you're half way home. You should be able to re-use the cabling and the dish mount (simply put the Dish500 in place of the oval dish). Then find a suitable place for the dish300 and mount it. Aim and peak each dish seperately. AFTER you have a good signal on all 3 slots (61.5, 110, and 119), put in the SW21 for HD and do a "Check Switch".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.